Route Kailash Mansarovar pilgrimage through Himachal: DhumalJune 11th, 2009 - 5:12 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 11 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal has requested the central government to consider the option of routing the Kailash Mansarovar pilgrimage in China through this hill state terming it more “convenient and shorter”.
In a missive to Union Minister for External Affairs S.M. Krishna, Dhumal wrote: “The pilgrims have to trudge miles of rugged, cold and inhospitable Himalayan terrain from Uttarakhand to Kailash Mansarovar. The same pilgrimage could be organised in a better way through Kinnaur district in Himachal Pradesh. This route would be convenient and shorter.
“It would be a two-day journey up to Reckong Peo in Kinnaur from New Delhi and the pilgrims could reach the border post Shipkila on the Indian side on the third day. From Shipkila, the holy lake of Mansarovar is just 91 km which can be mostly covered by road. Only a short distance is left for trekking.”
The chief minister noted that: “With the approval of the alternate route through Himachal Pradesh, the tourism sector would get further boost and generate employment and self-employment avenues to the youth.”
Every year hundreds of pilgrims are going on the Kailash Mansarovar pilgrimage from June to September. This is one of the toughest pilgrimages among the Hindus.
- Shrikhand Mahadev pilgrimage begins in Himachal - Jul 15, 2012
- Manimahesh pilgrimage to begin Aug 10 in Himachal - Jul 13, 2012
- ITBP discovers ancient route to Kailash Mansarovar - Jun 17, 2010
- 17 labourers killed in Himachal accident (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Heli Taxi services launched in Himachal - Jan 30, 2011
- For the perfect trekking experience at Himachal national park (Letter from Kullu) - Jun 11, 2012
- Smuggled pashmina wool seized in Himachal - Sep 06, 2011
- Manimahesh pilgrimage begins in Himachal - Aug 22, 2011
- 17 labourers killed in Himachal accident - Feb 14, 2012
- Himalayan cycling expedition begins Sep 30 - Sep 19, 2011
- Fighting traditions and laws, tribal women seek property rights - Nov 28, 2011
- MEA improving facilities for 'Kailash Mansarovar Yatra' - Mar 15, 2011
- Nepal cyclist wins Himachal mountain biking event - Oct 30, 2010
- Himachal braves cold, marks Republic Day (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Kailash-Mansarovar pilgrimage to Tibet begins - Jun 01, 2010
Tags: alternate route, avenues, border post, central government, chief minister, external affairs, hindus, krishna, missive, New Delhi, peo, pilgrimage, pilgrimages, pilgrims, self employment, third day, tourism sector, trudge, union minister, uttarakhand