Rolls-Royce bags $12.6-mn Indian order for buoy vesselAugust 22nd, 2012 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 22 (IANS) British power systems manufacturer Rolls-Royce Wednesday announced it has bagged a $12.6 million deal to design and power a highly specialised vessel that India will deploy in the strategically important Andaman and Niconbar Islands to maintain offshore navigational aids.
“Rolls-Royce, the global power systems company, has secured a 8 million pounds ($12.6 million) contract to design and power a highly specialised buoy tender vessel for India,” the company said in a release here.
“The vessel will be operating in remote waters off the east coast of India and around the Andaman & Nicobar Islands maintaining and replacing navigational aids and buoys,” it said.
The vessel will be built at the Cochin Shipyard and is due for delivery in 2015.
“We are very pleased that the Directorate General of Lighthouses and Lightships has chosen a highly advanced Rolls-Royce design and power systems package, focusing on both environmental and operational features, when extending their fleet,” Rolls-Royce General Manager Sales Ship Technology-Offshore Per Kristian Furo said.
The buoy tender vessel is a Rolls-Royce UT 755 S, which is a development of the UT 755 series and designed to operate safely in the most challenging conditions, the release said.
In addition to the design, Rolls-Royce will also supply the main engines, propulsion system, automation and control system, deck machinery and shaft generators, it added.
Cochin Shipyard has previously built over 20 Rolls-Royce designed vessels.
–Indo-Asian News Service
- Setting sail with gas from wasted food - Jul 02, 2012
- Goa shipyard to build six patrol vessels for Coast Guard - May 09, 2012
- Defence shipyards lose out to private players: Antony - Nov 28, 2011
- Rolls Royce opens office in Abu Dhabi - Dec 13, 2011
- India to do $2 bn deal for Jaguar engines from single vendor - Jun 13, 2011
- India given choice to pioneer naval Typhoon jet - Aug 01, 2011
- 2010 Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe Now At Reduced Price - Jun 23, 2010
- Finland to design advanced icebreaker for Canada - Mar 02, 2012
- Antony to commission modernised Goa Shipyard Saturday - May 19, 2011
- IAF requests US for 6 more C-130J airlifters - Oct 28, 2011
- Brand new Indian Navy with long legs by 2027: Admiral Verma - Dec 02, 2011
- Offshore patrol vessel joins Indian Coast Guard's Eastern Command fleet - May 20, 2010
- Coast Guard commissions pollution control vessel - Oct 09, 2010
- IAF plans to refit Jaguars with new engines in trouble - Feb 15, 2011
- Rolls-Royce returns to the city of Nizams - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: andaman, asian news, buoys, deck machinery, furo, global power, indo, lighthouses, lightships, navigational aids, ncb, New Delhi, nicobar islands, operational features, propulsion system, rolls royce, ship technology, shipyard, system automation, vm