Rohtang Pass to reopen in AprilMarch 18th, 2009 - 11:25 am ICT by IANS
Manali (Himachal Pradesh), March 18 (IANS) For the first time in 20 years, the majestic Rohtang Pass, located at an altitude of 13,050 feet in Himachal Pradesh’s Kullu district, will be reopened in the first week of April, officials said here Wednesday. It is usually opened to traffic in May.
“The crucial road link to the tribal Lahaul valley through the Rohtang Pass will be reopened in the first week of April,” I.R. Mathur, Border Roads Organisation (BRO) chief engineer (Project Deepak), told IANS.
“This is the first time in 20 years that the pass would be made motorable in April. Due to the dry spell in the past few weeks, we have accelerated the snow-clearing operation,” he added.
Regarding the complete opening of the 475 km Manali-Leh National Highway 21, Mathur said the work of clearing snow was going on at a fast pace at different locations.
“Our first priority is to make the 60 km stretch between Manali and Rohtang Pass motorable so that link to the Lahaul valley would open before the general elections,” he said.
The hill state will go to the polls May 13.
S.K. Doon, commander of the General Reserve Engineering Force (GREF), 38 Task Force, said three teams were deployed on the 222 km Manali-Sarchu stretch to clear the snow.
“While one team is working between Manali and Rohtang Pass, two teams are between Stingri and the Rohtang Pass, and Stingri and Baralacha Pass,” he said.
The GREF is a wing of the BRO. It maintains the part of the highway that is in Himachal Pradesh. The rest is in Jammu and Kashmir.
Doon said the Manali-Leh road was also likely to be thrown open for traffic by the middle of May. The highway is in the rugged terrain of the trans-Himalayas.
- Rohtang Pass reopens after five months - May 25, 2011
- Rohtang Pass re-opens for traffic - Apr 14, 2010
- Rohtang Pass to be re-opened for traffic this week - Apr 11, 2010
- Snow clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 03, 2010
- Snow clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 01, 2011
- Rohtang Pass reopens for traffic - Aug 06, 2012
- Snow-clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 03, 2009
- Avoid Manali-Leh highway, snowfall likely - Oct 23, 2011
- Manali-Leh highway reopens for traffic - Jun 07, 2010
- Snowfall ahead, BRO stops operations on Rohtang Pass - Nov 15, 2010
- Time for pulsating action on Himachal highway - Jun 09, 2011
- Permit must for Manali-Leh travel by non-Himachal vehicles - Jun 26, 2011
- Stuck since December, they await Himalayan road's reopening - May 24, 2011
- Rohtang Pass to be operational till Nov 15 - Nov 01, 2010
- Manali-Leh highway partially reopened - Jun 01, 2011
Tags: altitude, border roads, chief engineer, doon, dry spell, engineer project, first priority, general elections, himachal pradesh, himalayas, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kullu district, manali, mathur, pace, rohtang pass, rugged terrain, snow clearing, task force