Rohtang Pass re-opens for trafficMay 3rd, 2009 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, May 3 (IANS) Rohtang Pass located at an altitude of 13,050 feet in Himachal Pradesh’s Kullu district has re-opened for vehicular traffic, officials said Sunday. The pass had been closed since mid-December due to heavy winter snowfall.
“The crucial road link to the tribal Lahaul Valley through the Rohtang Pass was re-opened last (Saturday) evening,” S.K. Doon, commander of the General Reserve Engineering Force (GREF) 38 Task Force, told IANS by phone.
“At present, only small and emergency vehicles are allowed to cross the pass. After May 7, all types of vehicles can ply through the pass,” he said.
Regarding the opening of 475-km Manali-Leh National Highway 21, Doon said the work of clearing snow was going on at a fast pace at different locations.
“The work is now on at different locations to open the entire highway by this month,” he said.
“Our first priority was to make the 60-km stretch between Manali and Rohtang Pass motorable so that link to the Lahaul Valley would open before the general elections,” the official added.
The hill state will go to the polls May 13.
- Rohtang Pass re-opens for traffic - Apr 14, 2010
- Rohtang Pass reopens after five months - May 25, 2011
- Snow clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 01, 2011
- Rohtang Pass to be re-opened for traffic this week - Apr 11, 2010
- Manali-Leh highway reopens for traffic - Jun 07, 2010
- Rohtang Pass re-opened to traffic - May 12, 2009
- Time for pulsating action on Himachal highway - Jun 09, 2011
- Avoid Manali-Leh highway, snowfall likely - Oct 23, 2011
- Manali-Leh highway likely to reopen Saturday - Jun 04, 2010
- Stuck since December, they await Himalayan road's reopening - May 24, 2011
- Snow clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 03, 2010
- Rohtang Pass temporarily closed to traffic due to snow - May 10, 2009
- Rohtang Pass re-opened for traffic - Dec 03, 2009
- Luxury bus service between Manali and Leh reopens - Jul 02, 2011
- Rohtang Pass reopens for traffic - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: altitude, doon, emergency vehicles, first priority, general elections, himachal pradesh, kullu district, last saturday, pace, polls, rohtang pass, saturday evening, shimla, task force, traffic officials, types of vehicles, vehicular traffic, winter snowfall