Rohtang Pass re-opened to trafficMay 12th, 2009 - 1:31 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, May 12 (IANS) The Rohtang Pass, at an altitude of 13,050 feet in Himachal Pradesh’s Kullu district, has been re-opened for vehicular traffic, an official said Tuesday. The pass was temporarily closed to the traffic May 10 after snow.
“The road link to the tribal Lahaul Valley through the Rohtang Pass was restored Monday evening,” Lahaul and Spiti Deputy Commissioner C. Paul Rasu told IANS on telephone.
“Right now, only small and emergency vehicles are allowed to cross the Rohtang Pass. This was re-opened on priority so that link to the Lahaul valley would be restored before polling for Lok Sabha elections,” he said.
However, the work to completely open the 475 km Manali-Leh National Highway 21 is in progress.
S.K. Doon, commander of the 38 Task Force of the General Reserve Engineering Force (GREF), a wing of the Border Road Organisation that maintains the highway, said the complete opening of the Manali-Leh highway was going on at a fast pace at different locations.
“Our priority was to make the 52-km stretch between Manali and the Rohtang Pass motorable,” he added.
- Rohtang Pass reopens after five months - May 25, 2011
- Rohtang Pass re-opens for traffic - Apr 14, 2010
- Snow clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 01, 2011
- Rohtang Pass to be re-opened for traffic this week - Apr 11, 2010
- Manali-Leh highway reopens for traffic - Jun 07, 2010
- Time for pulsating action on Himachal highway - Jun 09, 2011
- Luxury bus service between Manali and Leh reopens - Jul 02, 2011
- Snow clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 03, 2010
- Stuck since December, they await Himalayan road's reopening - May 24, 2011
- Permit must for Manali-Leh travel by non-Himachal vehicles - Jun 26, 2011
- Rohtang Pass reopens for traffic - Aug 06, 2012
- Manali-Leh highway partially reopened - Jun 01, 2011
- Snow-bound Rohtang Pass may re-open soon - Nov 14, 2009
- Manali-Leh highway reopened, 282 people rescued (Lead) - Sep 04, 2009
- Manali-Leh highway likely to reopen Saturday - Jun 04, 2010