RJs now promoting Tihar’s Brand TJ (Lead)June 22nd, 2011 - 6:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 22 (IANS) Tihar Jail is not just in the news for its prisoners, some of them high-profile. A range of snacks and consumer goods produced by Tihar Jail inmates are now being marketed under the TJ brand through newspapers and FM radio channels.
“We are improving the marketing tricks for the products. Let’s see what kind of response we get from the consumers as the time progresses,” Tihar Jail Director General Neeraj Kumar told IANS.
Currently, the brand is being promoted with the help of newspapers and FM radio channels.
The jail authorities are also pitching in retailers such as Mother Dairy to roll out the range of products to the consumers. The products recorded a turnover of Rs.15 crore last year.
“A final go-ahead is needed for the products to be retailed in Mother Dairy outlets. It will be a new addition to the existing list of outlets,” said Prateek Sharma, deputy superintendent (factory) at Tihar Jail.
Tihar Jail is in the news daily for the high-profile prisoners within its high walls. It is the country’s largest prison housing 12,231 inmates.
Authorities at Tihar said it will take two-three months for products to become popular despite their aggressive marketing and advertising.
The products include a range of food items like biscuits and snacks, clothings, handloom and textiles, furniture and home decor goods.
“Some of the products have not reached the outlets,” Kumar said.
“When we introduce new products, it usually takes two to three months for them to become popular among the people,” he added.
To bring the brand TJ closer to consumers, Tihar authorities have zeroed in on Kendriya Bhandar outlets and court complexes in the capital.
Some of the 35 outlets in the advertised list were the Delhi Secretariat’s canteen, the Delhi Police headquarters’ canteen, select Kendriya Bhandar outlets, kiosks in the Delhi High Court and trial courts.
One of the outlet, Khadi Gram Udyog Bhandar in Patparganj, east Delhi, has closed down, and jail authorities admitted that it was an error to mention it in the advertisement.
“We have checked with the factory authorities and have been informed that the Patparganj outlet will be taken off from the list,” Kumar said.
While the food products are finding buyers at the canteen of police headquarters and kiosks at Delhi courts, the sales have not hit a high due to limited visitors there.
“At police headquarters canteen and other government offices, only officials visit the canteens. The limited sales are expected,” Kumar added.
- Tihar facing problems retailing inmates' products - Jun 22, 2011
- Diwali gift packs, with love from Tihar Jail - Oct 21, 2011
- Opportunities to Tihar inmates incomparable: Minister - Oct 18, 2011
- Tihar business grows and grows! - Jan 31, 2012
- Quiet Diwali for Tihar Jail's VIP inmates - Oct 27, 2011
- Raja completes a year in jail, adapting well - Feb 02, 2012
- Make Tihar Jail meat-free zone: PETA India - Nov 22, 2011
- Outlet for Tihar Jail products opens at high court - Apr 16, 2010
- Tihar authorities term PUDR report 'false' - Jan 20, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi government, Tihar jail over custodial death - May 23, 2012
- Badminton, chats with new friends: Raja at home in jail - May 29, 2011
- Jail inmates' allegations incorrect: Tihar chief - Dec 22, 2010
- Court notice on plea seeking rules for ill Tihar inmates - Aug 13, 2012
- Tihar Jail authorities arbitrary, biased: Report - Jan 19, 2012
- Tihar Idol, a talent hunt in jail premises for inmates - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,