Right attitude, patience needed during inflation: ChidambaramJuly 9th, 2008 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 9 (IANS) Right attitude and patience are needed to meet inflationary pressures, Finance Minister P. Chidambaram said here Wednesday. “The Indian economy will bounce back. We met the Asian financial crisis in 1997-98, the foreign exchange reserve crisis in 1989-90, and even the 24 percent inflation crisis in 1979-80,” he said at a function here.
“One must have the right attitude and be patient,” Chidambaram added.
Attributing the across-the-board price rise to the increase in crude oil prices globally, the finance minister said increase in credit as well as money and capital flows at times resulted in embarrassments like inflation, which have to be tackled.
Chidambaram, who was here to lay the foundation stone for the Indian Bank’s corporate office, said 1.2 million students have been given Rs.200 billion as education loans despite inflationary pressures.
Indian Bank chairman and managing director M.S. Sundara Rajan presented Chidambaram with two cheques - one for Rs.350 million towards dividend on preferential shares, and the other for Rs.1.37 billion towards equity dividend - as the government’s share of dividend.
- RBI hints at more monetary action to curb inflation - Nov 22, 2011
- Inflation remains major short-term challenge, says Pranab - May 21, 2011
- India's inflation soars to 7.55 percent in August (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- After petrol prices, higher interest rates set to bite - Sep 16, 2011
- Diesel price to go up if inflation comes down: Rangarajan - Oct 20, 2011
- Inflation to remain between 6.5-7.5 percent: Mukherjee (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Inflation rises to 6.95 percent in February - Mar 14, 2012
- Fuel price hike will have inflationary pressure: Industrialists - Jun 25, 2011
- Indian economy will grow 7-7.5 percent in 2011-12: PM - Feb 03, 2012
- Inflation will come down to 6-7 percent by March: Mukherjee - Feb 01, 2012
- No country can feed 1.15-billion people: Pranab Mukharjee - Dec 26, 2010
- Stage appears set for another rate hike by India's central bank - Jul 26, 2011
- Below 7 percent inflation forecast in April - Apr 08, 2011
- Government banks on monsoon, rate hikes to tame inflation - Aug 16, 2011
- Sensex drops 140 points on weak rupee, global worries (Weekly market review) - May 19, 2012
Tags: asian financial crisis, capital flows, chennai, cheques, crude oil prices, dividend, education loans, exchange reserve, finance minister, foreign exchange, foundation stone, indian economy, inflation, inflationary pressures, managing director, p chidambaram, patience, preferential shares, rs 1, sundara