Retail inflation rises to 10.3 percent in AugustSeptember 18th, 2012 - 3:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 18 (IANS) India’s retail inflation rose to double digits at 10.3 percent in August as compared to 9.86 percent in the previous month owing to a sharp rise in the prices of vegetables, pulses and edible oils, government data showed Tuesday.
Vegetables became costlier by 20.79 percent year-on-year, while the prices of pulses increased 16.04 percent. Edible oils and fats also became dearer by 18.41 percent, according to data released by the Central Statistics Office (CSO).
The retail inflation, based on the consumer price index (CPI), rose to 10.19 percent for urban areas during the month under review as compared to 10.10 percent in the previous month.
For rural areas, the inflation grew to 9.90 percent in August as compared to 9.76 percent in the previous month.
Prices of most essential food categories grew during the month under review. Milk products became costlier by 11.43 percent. Prices of egg, fish and meat increased by 11.54 percent.
Prices of food and beverages increased by 12.03 percent, and clothing, bedding and footwear became costlier by 10.71 percent.
The RBI in its mid-quarter review of monetary policy Monday kept interest rates unchanged, saying inflation remains a huge concern.
“As inflationary tendencies have persisted, the primary focus of monetary policy remains the containment of inflation and anchoring of inflation expectations,” said RBI Governor D.Subbarao.
According to official data released last week, the headline inflation, based on wholesale prices, increased to 7.55 percent in August as compared to 6.87 percent in the previous month.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- Inflation rises to 7.55 percent in August - Sep 14, 2012
- Retail inflation surges to 10.36 percent in April - May 18, 2012
- India's inflation soars to 7.55 percent in August (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Inflation falls to 6.89 percent in March - Apr 16, 2012
- Inflation accelerates to 7.23 percent in April - May 14, 2012
- Retail inflation eases to 9.86 percent in July - Aug 21, 2012
- Inflation rises to 7.23 percent; food prices surge (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Inflation rises to 7.55 percent, food prices surge - Jun 14, 2012
- Inflation to remain between 6.5-7.5 percent: Mukherjee (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Inflation declines marginally, RBI rate cut seen (Roundup) - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: asian news, central statistics office, consumer price index, containment, edible oils, food and beverages, food categories, gk, government data, headline inflation, index cpi, inflation expectations, milk products, monetary policy, oils and fats, pulses, rbi governor, rural areas, srj, wholesale prices