Restored ‘Willys’ jeeps, a rage on Punjab roadsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:33 am ICT by admin
Moga (Punjab), Oct 20 (ANI): ‘Willys’ jeeps, which were infrequent use during the second World War, are being refurbished and refitted with modern accessories.
The ‘Willys’ Jeep, which had become an icon in the 70’s and 80’s is back in demand.
Connoisseurs of these jeeps include wealthy NRI youths. From Porsche vehicles, their loyalties have now shifted to the ‘Willys’ jeeps.
A reasonable price coupled with a sturdy body is reason enough to buy these beauties.
“The jeep is a status symbol. People envy a person driving this beauty more than someone driving a car worth eight lakh rupees,” said Gursimran Preet.
In the small and dusty towns of Punjab, there is a healthy market for these cars.
Moga is the marketing hub for these refurbished vehicles, which have a price tag of between 4000 to 5000 dollars.
The abandoned chassis is fitted with top of the line Toyota turbo diesel engine, preferred on account of the high fuel efficiency and better pick-up.
Daljeet Singh, the President of the Moga Car and Jeep Dealers Association said: “Non-resident Indian buyers have set the trend again for open jeeps. The passion for driving imported vehicles is no longer evident, instead they love these refurbished ‘Willys’ jeeps.”
“The ‘Willys’ are modified at Dabwali in Sangrur District and are being sold in the markets of Malot, Ludhiana, Monga and Bhatinda. The open-air jeeps (Willys) are modified at Dabwali Mandi”, he added.
These jeeps are replete with modern accessories and chrome alloys wheels, which are fitted to attract buyers.
There are close to one hundred dealers in Moga and each dealer sells at least ten Willys jeeps every week. (ANI)
- 17 devotees killed in Punjab accident - May 07, 2012
- Bhopal's love affair with jeeps (Feature) - Oct 10, 2011
- Chandigarh police busts gang of high-end car lifters - Oct 07, 2011
- 18 devotees killed in Punjab accident (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- World War-II jeeps a major draw in vintage rally held in Jaipur - Dec 27, 2009
- 'Delhi government can take action against car dealers' - Apr 20, 2012
- Shanghai residents being duped into buying retired taxis - Dec 14, 2010
- Police cameras to watch 'devils on wheel' - Mar 20, 2012
- Order reserved on plea seeking curb on 'illegal charges' by car dealers - Mar 21, 2012
- Daimler Financial Services bets big on lease deals - Jul 19, 2011
- Four killed in Punjab road accident - Sep 17, 2010
- Best new car deals that you should try out - Aug 26, 2010
- Court seeks reply from car dealers on 'illegal charges' (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Obama's used jeep auctioned for $26,437 - May 12, 2010
- Cartier pays tribute to restored 1911 Rolls Royce (With Image) - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: alloys wheels, chrome alloys, daljeet singh, imported vehicles, indian buyers, jeep dealers, moga, monga, porsche vehicles, preet, punjab, refurbished, sturdy body, toyota turbo, turbo diesel engine, willys jeep, willys jeeps