Restart Sethusamudran project: KarunanidhiJune 11th, 2009 - 9:12 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 11 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi Thursday urged the
central government to restart the Rs.2,427-crore (Rs.24.27 billion) Sethusamudaram shipping canal project.
Inaugurating the Rs.616-crore Ramanathapuram combined drinking water scheme from the state secretariat here through video conference, Karunanidhi said: “The Sethusamudaram project initiated by the last UPA (United Progressive Alliance) government is 60 percent complete and got stalled due to the conspiracy of some. The present government should take steps to restart the project.”
“I hope the present government will take necessary steps towards that. With the cooperation of the present government we will complete the project,” he added.
The canal project involves dredging the mythological Ram Setu, that is also geograpically known as Adam’s Bridge across the Palk Strait, to facilitate movement of ships.
While environmentalists have opposed the scheme saying it would damage the fragile ecological balance in the vicinity, economists have termed the project non-viable.
Karunanidhi praised his son and Deputy Chief Minister M.K. Stalin, who was present at Ramanathapuram, for the completion of the drinking water project in two years time.
The parched Ramanathapuram area will initially get 50 million litres per day (MLD) and later 100 MLD from the Cauvery river through the scheme.
- Karunanidhi thanks PM for Rs.16 bn Chennai Expressway - Jan 08, 2009
- Kashmir begins dredging of Jhelum river after 26 years - Mar 24, 2012
- ADB to be tapped for funding Jammu water scheme - Jan 04, 2012
- Bangalore gets Rs.4,770 crore for better infrastructure - Feb 24, 2011
- Bangalore stares at water famine - unless projects implemented - Apr 06, 2012
- Tamil Nadu to build new check dams - Apr 19, 2010
- Government plans environmental study of Sethusamudram channel - Jan 14, 2010
- Karunanidhi hopeful of diesel price rollback - Mar 03, 2010
- Quickly build Sethusamudram canal, says CPI-M (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- CPI-M youth wing strikes for implementation of Sethusamudram canal - Feb 12, 2010
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- Proposed Vizhinjam Port clears another hurdle - Feb 01, 2012
- Less than 12 percent of Shimla's sewage treated: CAG - Apr 10, 2012
- Foundation laid for Narmada canal project in Kutch - Apr 09, 2011
- 'Capital dredging proposal from Kolkata Port Trust awaited' - Feb 09, 2010
Tags: alliance government, canal project, cauvery river, central government, crore, deputy chief minister, drinking water project, ecological balance, m karunanidhi, necessary steps, palk strait, present government, progressive alliance, ram setu, rs 2, s bridge, shipping canal, state secretariat, video conference, water scheme