Repsol YPF announces first oil find in Libyan watersApril 22nd, 2009 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, April 22 (EFE) Spain’s Repsol YPF and its Austrian partner OMV have discovered hydrocarbons in Libyan waters, the Spanish company told securities regulators in Madrid.
The well, with a depth of 4,820 metres and in some 50 metres of water, is the first drilled in the Sirte basin, located about 15 km off the coast.
The exploration block containing the well was awarded to Repsol and its partners by Libya’s state-owned National Oil Corporation, or NOC, in November 2003.
Repsol has a 60 percent stake in the consortium that made the discovery, with OMV holding the remaining 40 percent, the Spanish energy firm said Tuesday, adding that the find confirmed the success of the 2009 exploration campaign and bolstered its standing as the largest private oil company operating in Libya.
Repsol YPF is also a partner in the consortium that will develop the well, holding a 21 percent stake in the venture, while NOC has a 65 percent interest and OMV owns a 14 percent stake.
In June 2008, Repsol extended its exploration and operation contracts for Libya’s NC186 and NC115 blocks until 2032, requiring investment of $2 billion to achieve production of 380,000 bpd of petroleum.
Repsol YPF, which has been operating in Libya since the 1970s, started production last year at the I/R megafield, where the Spanish company made the largest oil find in the North African nation this decade in 2006.
- Spanish firm buys Russian oil company for $230 mn - Dec 30, 2011
- Chinese-Spanish venture makes oil find in Brazil - Feb 28, 2012
- Argentine oil firm looks to attract investors - Aug 31, 2012
- Spanish firm to explore for oil in Alaska - Mar 08, 2011
- Argentina to nationalize Spanish-controlled oil company - Apr 17, 2012
- Libyan rebels seek financial help from Spain - Jul 22, 2011
- Brazilian oil giant announces contracts worth $4.5 bn - Jul 21, 2012
- Brazil's Petrobras announces deep-water oil find - Jan 27, 2011
- Argentine oil firm made $3 bn investments in 2011 - Feb 09, 2012
- Brazilian firm announces two new oil finds off Angola - Feb 19, 2010
- Latin America - Energising India (Comment) - Jun 21, 2012
- Vedanta meets all conditions for stake buy out: Cairn - Dec 07, 2011
- Spanish energy firm to invest $640 mn in Bolivia - Nov 24, 2011
- Cabinet approves $2.18 bn investment in Venezuela oil block - Mar 19, 2010
- Spanish firm to look for oil near Falklands - Feb 26, 2010
Tags: 1970s, african nation, bpd, consortium, decade, efe, energy firm, hydrocarbons, libya, national oil corporation, noc, oil company, omv, operation contracts, percent stake, petroleum, regulators, repsol ypf, sirte basin, spanish company