Report on Baglihar II hydel project by NovemberOctober 24th, 2009 - 1:47 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Oct 24 (IANS) The Central Water Commission (CWC) is expected to submit a survey report on the Baglihar II hydroelectric project by November-end, an official said Saturday. The project aims to boost the energy generation capacity of Jammu and Kashmir, a power-starved state.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who holds the power portfolio, cleared the construction of the second phase of the Baglihar project and the “survey has started”, the official told IANS.
The survey by the CWC will have to be vetted by the Central Electricity Authority.
The second phase of the Baglihar project will generate 450 MW of power as was the case with the first phase of the project on river Chenab.
“We are hopeful that the centre would approve our survey and start funding the project at the earliest,” the official said.
Omar Abdullah has set a deadline of six months to start the second phase of the project. It will be built by the Power Development Corporation (PDC).
Baglihar I was commissioned in October last year. It generates 450 MW of power. Pakistan protested the building of the dam on river Chenab, saying it will affect the water flow downstream. The Chenab flows into Pakistan from India.
Jammu and Kashmir generates less than 1,400 MW though its hydro-electricity potential has been estimated at 20,000 MW. It spends Rs.1,200 crore per year to buy power from the national grid.
- Kashmir's economic growth depends on power: Omar - Sep 04, 2012
- Second phase of Baglihar hydel project to start in six months - Oct 03, 2009
- Omar visits snow-hit Jammu region - Jan 09, 2012
- Kashmir focuses on smaller hydroelectric projects - Oct 19, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir has huge power deficit - Feb 25, 2011
- 'Hydel agreements in Kashmir need renegotiation' - May 23, 2012
- PDP assures action plan for growth of Chenab Valley - Sep 06, 2012
- Kashmir hydro project faces delay due to Pakistan (Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
- Kashmir's historic town soon to be history! - Jul 10, 2011
- Third-party monitoring of Kashmir's development projects - Dec 02, 2011
- Bihar's hydel project gets Central Water Commission's nod - Apr 26, 2012
- India-Pakistan water dispute escalates power project costs - Nov 18, 2010
- ADB to be tapped for funding Jammu water scheme - Jan 04, 2012
- Kashmir minister lambasts NHPC for 'resource drainage' - Jun 06, 2011
- Kashmir reviews terms of NHPC-run power projects - Jan 03, 2012
Tags: baglihar project, central electricity, central water, chief minister, crore, cwc, electricity authority, energy generation, generation capacity, hydel project, hydro electricity, hydroelectric project, jammu and kashmir, national grid, power portfolio, river chenab, second phase, state chief, water commission, water flow