Reliance’s German firm files for insolvencyJune 3rd, 2009 - 7:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 3 (IANS) Trevira, a Germany-based polyester fibre manufacturer acquired by Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) in 2004, has filed an application in a provincial court in the European country to start insolvency proceedings.
A press release issued here Wednesday by RIL said the application for insolvency proceedings had been filed in the Augsburg court in the state of Bavaria.
“The move follows major efforts by the company to overcome the impact of industrial slowdown in Europe, particularly in the automotive and textile sectors to whom it is an important supplier,” the release said.
RIL acquired Trivera in June 2004 for 80 million pounds ($132 million), making the parent company the world’s largest fibre and yarn player. It has production units in Germany, Denmark, Poland and Belgium.
“European textile manufacturers are currently facing a considerable drop in demand for their products, while the cost of production and employment is increasing and competition from Asian and Eastern European industries is stronger than ever,” it added.
The German subsidiary has also appointed a new chief restructuring officer as its managing director to lead the company through this period.
- Reliance Industries plans major capacity expansion - Apr 13, 2011
- Ruia Group acquires Germany-based Acument GmbH - Feb 21, 2011
- Indorama to invest Rs.1,000 crore in Himachal project - Apr 03, 2012
- Technical textile industry deserves tax sops: FICCI - Dec 26, 2010
- Ruia Group to acquire two European firms - May 11, 2011
- Vimal launches anti-microbial treated, odour-free fabric - Jul 14, 2010
- Kerala, Bavaria to enhance ties in IT sector - Oct 15, 2010
- Nakoda to set up wind power plant in Madhya Pradesh - Sep 02, 2010
- 'India can be world leader in handmade textiles' - Jan 05, 2012
- Ruia Group's new focus: Africa - Aug 07, 2011
- Japanese steelmaker to build plant in central Mexico - Aug 08, 2012
- Gujarat textile honchos puts forward demands ahead of Budget - Feb 21, 2011
- Manufacturing sector improved April-September: Survey - Nov 28, 2010
- Low costs luring Indian textile makers to Bangladesh - Oct 16, 2011
- BOC India to invest Rs 5.4 bn for plants in Odisha - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: bavaria, european textile, german firm, german subsidiary, industrial slowdown, insolvency proceedings, june 3, managing director, New Delhi, parent company, polyester fibre, provincial court, reliance industries, reliance industries ltd, reliance industries ltd ril, restructuring, textile manufacturers, textile sectors, trivera, yarn