Reliance Power starts production at Sasan minesSeptember 3rd, 2012 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 3 (IANS) Reliance Power has begun mining coal from Sasan blocks in Madhya Pradesh six months ahead of schedule, the company said Monday. It targets raising the output to 20 million tonnes per annum in four years.
Coal from the mines will be used to generate electricity at the company’s Sasan Ultra Mega Power Plant (UMPP), India’s largest domestic coal-based power plant. The production capacity of the plant will be 3,960 MW.
“This is a milestone moment for Reliance Power and for the Indian power sector,” Anil Ambani, chairman of Reliance Power, said in a statement.
“Scarcity of coal is the biggest challenges facing the power sector in India. We will be able to get 20 million tonnes per annum from these mines as a result of our efforts to optimise coal production by latest and advanced mining technologies,” Ambani said.
The company targets 20 million coal production annually from Moher and Moher-Amlohri coal mines associated with the Sasan project.
“We remain committed to increasing production in India to reduce imports and save precious foreign exchange,” said J.P. Chalasani, chief executive officer of Reliance Power.
Sasan coal mines are deploying the largest mining equipment ever used in India. The equipment includes giant rope shovels, dumper trucks, dozers and graders.
- Ambani seeks higher power tariff to ensure industry's health - Sep 04, 2012
- Government decides in favour of R-Power's coal transfer plan - Apr 28, 2012
- Reliance Power total income rises 124 percent in 2011-12 - May 27, 2011
- Reliance Power's second quarter operating revenue up 189 percent - Nov 08, 2011
- $917 mn finance for Madhya Pradesh power plant - Oct 22, 2010
- Reliance Power places $10-bn equipment order for 32,000 MW - Oct 28, 2010
- Reliance Power refutes auditor on excess coal benefit (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Reliance Power's Tilaiya project gets approval for carbon credits - Oct 03, 2011
- Reliance Power quarterly net profit rises 42 percent - Feb 13, 2012
- Reliance Power total income doubles in third quarter - Feb 14, 2011
- NTPC mulls stakes in two Indonesian coal mines - Aug 30, 2010
- Indo-US business deals worth $15 bn struck - Nov 06, 2010
- Tata Power's 800 MW thermal plant operational in Gujarat - Jul 19, 2012
- Caterpillar to expand Indian operations investing $212 million - Dec 01, 2011
- Court dismisses Tata's plea on Sasan project - Apr 13, 2009
Tags: annum, chalasani, chief executive officer, coal mines, coal production, company targets, domestic coal, dozers, dumper trucks, foreign exchange, indian power sector, mega power, mining equipment, moher, power plant, power sector in india, reliance power, scarcity, shovels, tonnes