Releasing balloon cost UK teenager PS50!May 26th, 2008 - 5:21 pm ICT by admin
London, May 26 (ANI): A 16-year-old boy was left stunned after being slapped with a fine of 50 pounds - for releasing a balloon.
Max Twizell was hit with the penalty for littering when a pink balloon zoomed out of his hands at a charity event in Old Eldon Square, Newcastle.
Council chiefs said they have a zero-tolerance approach to littering and if the teenager does not pay the fine, he will be hauled before magistrates.
We can confirm that we have issued a PS50 fine to a teenager for dropping an item. He has 28 days to pay and if not may face court action, The Sun quoted Stephen Savage, director of regulatory services and public protection, as saying.
To some people this may sound harsh but we believe that to create a cleaner, safer city we must send out a clear message that this will not be tolerated, he added.
Max, of Heddon on the Wall, Northumberland, inflated the helium-filled balloon but let it spiral away without tying the end.
He has slammed the decision as over-the-top and insisted he had not done anything wrong.
I took one of the balloons to do the funny voice. I let it go and walked off with some friends but this guy came up and fined me. I wasnt given a chance to find it and pick it up. Its a bit silly and annoying, he said.
His mum Lorraine wanted to fight the fine in court but Max was afraid of getting a criminal record if they lost.
There are far worse examples of littering all around. To me this seems petty and vindictive, Lorraine said.
Will the council fine every charity that holds a balloon race PS50 per balloon, or toddlers in prams who accidentally release helium balloons, she added. (ANI)
- Flying shark stuns NZ pilot - Jan 04, 2012
- Now, a fine for littering in Islamabad - Aug 17, 2011
- Helium wasted on party balloons: Experts - Mar 22, 2012
- Scientists recreate floating house from movie 'Up!' - Mar 08, 2011
- 'Mysterious floating objects' in NYC were birthday balloons, not UFOs - Oct 15, 2010
- Google's Nexus S works fine at 60,000 feet: Report - Dec 26, 2010
- Island sculpture goes missing at Secret Garden party - Aug 04, 2011
- Helium shortage sends prices sky high - Aug 27, 2012
- Euthanasia fanatic 'showing videos on how to kill yourself to 14-yr-old students' - Apr 17, 2011
- Man crosses English Channel using helium balloons - May 28, 2010
- Two fined in Islamabad for littering - Oct 13, 2011
- India's first balloon-mounted radar launched successfully - Dec 28, 2010
- Kiwi silver medallist was sent home from CWG for breaking booze protocol: SNZ chief - Oct 15, 2010
- CPI hits out against 'intolerance' of Mamata government - Apr 20, 2012
- Victoria Beckham does a fruitless nine-hour pram search - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: 28 days, balloon race, charity event, council chiefs, criminal record, eldon square newcastle, funny voice, heddon on the wall, helium balloons, lorraine, magistrates, newcastle council, northumberland, pink balloon, prams, regulatory services, safer city, teenager, toddlers, zero tolerance