Regulator’s report on valuation of insurance firms next monthApril 9th, 2009 - 10:43 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 9 (IANS) The country’s insurance regulator will introduce fresh guidelines for valuation of insurance companies, a top official said here Thursday.
“A committee of actuaries headed by me is currently working on a new norm for the valuation of companies. The report would be ready next month,” R. Kannan, member of the Insurance Regulatory Development Authority (IRDA) (actuary), said.
The IRDA was goaded into formulating the guidelines after it transpired that two separate valuers had come up with widely varying valuations of a particular insurance company, Kannan said but refused to name the company.
The regulator was also considering making bancassurace, the practice of banks selling insurance products, legally recognised.
“Bancassurance has become a popular marketing channel but it’s not regulated. We want to make it legally recognised,” Kannan said.
The proposed regulation could put a ceiling on the size of a policy that can be sold as an over-the-counter product from a bank branch.
“We don’t want a policy of say R.1 crore value to be sold across the counter,” he said.
For policies of smaller sizes, process of machine-generated underwriting can be allowed under the guidelines, Kannan added.
- IPO norms to be out once valuation method is finalised: IRDA chief - Sep 15, 2011
- Reliance Life Insurance in talk with banks for tie-up - Aug 19, 2012
- Insurance firms might find draft bancassurance guidelines difficult - Jan 03, 2012
- Penalty on HDFC Standard Life seen as warning - Jul 03, 2012
- Norms soon for calculating embedded value of insurers - Jun 26, 2011
- Reliance Life looks to next big steps in ties with Nippon - Oct 09, 2011
- Insurance regulator faces actuarial vacuum - May 24, 2011
- Insurance regulator bracing for spat with judiciary - Feb 14, 2011
- Strengthen actuarial departments, says insurance regulator - Dec 23, 2010
- Scrapped insurance products bring actuaries in spotlight - Oct 24, 2010
- Flexibility needed to fill vacancies at insurance regulator: Expert - May 30, 2011
- Expert 'actuaries' who assess insurance risk getting younger - Dec 28, 2010
- Open architecture bancassurance model needed: Survey - Jul 08, 2010
- Insurance regulator tightens norms on equity-linked plans - May 04, 2010
- Aegon Religare targeting Rs.500 crore premium in 2010-11 - Oct 08, 2010
Tags: 1 crore, actuaries, actuary, banks, insurance, insurance companies, insurance company, insurance firms, insurance products, insurance regulator, insurance regulatory development authority, irda, kannan, marketing channel, norm, regulatory development, selling insurance, valuations, valuers