Regulator asks airlines to explain fare hikes (Lead)February 11th, 2009 - 9:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 11 (IANS) After Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel Wednesday morning warned airline operators against “cartelisation”, the aviation regulator, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), asked them to explain their fare hikes.
The move came a day after Indian carriers, including budget airlines, withdrew promotional fares and hiked the base tariff. Among them was the state-owned Air India, which only months earlier announced lowest Rs.99 base promotional fare on its domestic routes.
“We have asked all airlines to provide us the details concerning the air fare hike yesterday (Tuesday). We will take action against them, if required, on the basis of their reports,” a DGCA spokesperson said.
Earlier in the day, Minister Praful Patel warned operators against “cartelisation”.
The government was against any cartelisation among airlines, he said and added: “We will watch and take strict action in any such case.”
The minister in his officially issued statement assured that the national carrier Air India would “never be a part” of any move that is tantamount to cartelisation. “We will ensure that competitive pricing ensures better prices to the passengers.”
Patel had made a similar statement when two dominant carriers - Jet Airways and Kingfisher Airlines - announced “synergising” their operations to tide over the difficult times facing the Indian aviation space.
This had led to fears of cartelisation.
- Airlines advised not to hike fares: DGCA - May 11, 2012
- Praful Patel warns airlines against cartelisation - Feb 11, 2009
- DGCA asks airlines to be reasonable, transparent on airfares - Dec 04, 2010
- Aviation Ministry, DGCA unhappy with airlines' steps to lower fares - Dec 13, 2010
- Regulator asks airlines not to increase fares - Jul 16, 2012
- Airlines slash ticket prices after government intervenes - Dec 05, 2010
- Government warns airlines on high fares (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Government awaiting DGCA report on Kingfisher: Ajit Singh - Mar 21, 2012
- Airlines told to publish date-wise air fares - Dec 06, 2010
- Airlines reply to regulator on fare hike - Feb 14, 2009
- Air prices will soon stabilise, says Praful Patel - Dec 04, 2010
- Patel rejects airlines proposal for fare hike (Lead) - Dec 03, 2010
- Cancellations drive up air fares, DGCA keeping watch - Nov 17, 2011
- No airline faces closure, will ensure safety: Watchdog - Jan 05, 2012
- Patel rejects airlines proposal for hike in air fares - Dec 03, 2010
Tags: air fare, air india, airline operators, aviation space, budget airlines, carrier air, civil aviation, dgca, difficult times, directorate general, fare hike, indian aviation, jet airways, kingfisher, kingfisher airlines, national carrier, praful patel, spokesperson, strict action, wednesday morning