Regulate iron ore prices, say Orissa steel producersMay 24th, 2011 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 24 (IANS) The central government should regulate iron ore prices to save the steel industry, producers from Orissa said here Tuesday.
“Iron ore is a national resource on which all steel companies are surviving. But abnormal pricing by private miners and the inability of the government to supply ore by alternative means are leading to the closure of most small and medium scale steel companies in India,” Purushottam Kandoi, All Odisha Steel Federation president, said at a press conference here.
Of about 400 steel companies in the country, about 100 were already sick or closed, Kandoi said.
“Under these circumstances, the government should either nationalise all iron ore mines or adopt the model used for RIL’s KG basin natural gas,” he added.
- Policy matters, iron ore sourcing delaying steel plant: JSW Steel - Jan 10, 2012
- China using up Goa's iron ore: Report - Sep 08, 2012
- Orissa seeks new tax on iron ore profits - Sep 03, 2011
- Essar Group doubles steel capacity at Hazira, Gujarat - Feb 24, 2012
- Odisha reiterates demand to ban iron ore export - Nov 16, 2011
- Over 100 Chhattisgarh sponge iron units face closure - Jan 15, 2012
- Odisha stops iron ore exports through two Andhra ports - Dec 12, 2011
- Karnataka steel industry seeks more iron ore - Sep 29, 2011
- Goa not in iron deposit intensive areas list - Jan 12, 2012
- JSW Steel scales down production to 30 percent - Sep 26, 2011
- Essar Steel commissions Phase 1 of Odisha pellet plant - Apr 09, 2012
- What tax will Reliance pay, Supreme Court asks centre - Aug 23, 2011
- RIL denies wrong-doing in production sharing contract (Lead) - Sep 08, 2011
- Ensure sustainability, Karnataka's mining industry urged - Jul 05, 2012
- Jindal Steel to exit Bolivia's largest mining project - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: central government, circumstances, closure, companies in india, federation president, industry producers, iron ore mines, iron ore prices, kg, may 24, miners, national resource, natural gas, odisha, orissa, purushottam, steel companies, steel industry, steel producers