‘Red tape delayed road building near India-China border’November 10th, 2010 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 10 (IANS) The government Wednesday said procedural hassles delayed the construction of over 800 km of roads along the frontiers with China, which is building huge infrastructure on its side of the border.
“The government has decided to undertake phase-wise construction of 27 roads totalling 804 km in the border areas along the India-China border,” Minister of State for Home Mullappally Ramachandran said in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha.
He said the roads were being laid in Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh for the operational requirements of the paramilitary Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP).
The minister said these were strategic border roads, located in a very high altitude area on the India-China boundary.
He said some topographical problems were coming in the way of laying the roads as some areas fall in reserve forests and wildlife sanctuaries.
“Therefore, the long process of getting statutory environmental clearances and the approval of the Supreme Court had to be undertaken. The procedural requirements were time consuming and therefore, the expenditure was not as per expectations in the initial two years of the scheme (2006-07 and 2007-08).”
He said since the issues have been resolved, the process of road construction has commenced.
- Over 30,000 personnel to join ITBP - Oct 24, 2011
- Handicrafts from border areas a hit at exhibition - Nov 27, 2011
- No threat from China: New ITBP chief - Sep 01, 2011
- No hostility on India-China border: ITBP chief (Lead, correcting name) - Oct 21, 2010
- Poor road links along India-China border: ITBP - Apr 04, 2010
- Chinese intrusion: Dhumal writes to Manmohan Singh - Mar 25, 2012
- Roads along Indo-Nepal Border under Govt. consideration - Aug 17, 2010
- Dhumal warns of Chinese threat after air intrusion (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Sangma seeks better border patrol in northeast - Mar 02, 2012
- Sikkim quake-affected kids meet Dikshit - Jan 28, 2012
- Irregularities in BRO tendering for China border roads - Aug 02, 2011
- 128 people killed, 6,000 cattle dead in Assam floods - Aug 08, 2012
- India's border projects progressing unhindered: Antony - Nov 28, 2011
- ITBP pitches for more men, advanced equipment (Second Lead) - Oct 21, 2010
- ITBP to induct first women's battalion Friday - Jan 28, 2010
Tags: border areas, border police, border roads, frontiers, hassles, high altitude, himachal pradesh, india china, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, minister of state, operational requirements, procedural requirements, rajya sabha, ramachandran, red tape, road construction, sikkim, tibetan border, uttarakhand