`Red Bull’ creator is deadMarch 17th, 2012 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Bangkok, March 17 (IANS) Chaleo Yoovidhya, whose invention of energy drink Red Bull created a global sensation and made him one of Thailand’s richest men, died Saturday at the age of 90.
Chaleo passed away due to natural causes at Chulalongkorn Hospital in Bangkok, reported Xinhua citing the Bangkok Post online.
Chaleo founded T.C. Pharmaceuticals, which developed the energy drink “Krating Daeng” — in Thai meaning “red bull”, in the 1970s. The product became highly popular among truck drivers and labourers.
Austrian entrepreneur Dietrich Mateschitz discovered the drink while on a sales trip to Asia in 1984. He talked with Chaleo and his son Chalerm about marketing the drink worldwide with a new brand Red Bull.
The Yoovidhya family owns 51 percent of the joint venture and Mateschitz 49 percent.
- Thai Indian entrepreneur's wealth soars by 252 percent - Sep 02, 2010
- Vettel may leave Red Bull if it fails to deliver F1 championship-defending car - Mar 22, 2011
- Grenade explosions during Bangkok protest kill one, injure 75 - Apr 23, 2010
- Thai TV: Red Shirts leader General Khattiya Sawasdipol seriously injured after shooting - May 13, 2010
- Thai Red shirts leader Seh Daeng dies of wounds - Hospital director - May 17, 2010
- Oprah Winfrey relaxes in $26K-a-night Fiji resort after Oz trip - Dec 18, 2010
- Thai PM's twitter account hacked - Oct 05, 2011
- Red Bull considering pullout from Formula One next year - May 11, 2009
- Austrian skydiver plans to break sound barrier in free fall (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Five killed, 100 injured in three blasts in Bangkok (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- Anti-government protesters in Thailand demand release of leaders - Sep 17, 2010
- Thai troops advance on protest site, fire breaks out (Lead) - May 19, 2010
- Vettel looks to use home advantage in Webber battle - Jul 21, 2010
- 19 more dead, 800 injured in Thai political violence - Apr 11, 2010
- Ultimate parachute jump: Diver to break sound barrier - Feb 05, 2012
Tags: 1970s, bangkok post, chaleo yoovidhya, daeng, dietrich mateschitz, energy drink, entrepreneur, invention, joint venture, march 17, pharmaceuticals, red bull, richest men, sensation, Thailand, trip to asia, truck drivers, xinhua