Recession hits liquor sales in KeralaDecember 21st, 2008 - 12:37 pm ICT by ANI
By K S Ashik
Thiruvananthapuram (Kerala), Dec 21 (ANI): The ongoing global economic meltdown has pulled down liquor sales in Kerala, one of the highest liquor consuming states of the country.
The beeline at counters of beverages corporation during peak hours in the evening has dried up. Barely more than five to six people are seen at leading shops in Thiruvananthapuram.
Biju Ramesh, owner of the leading liquor giant in the state, owing about 20 bars here, said that he is facing about 20 per cent decline in his sales.
“We are not getting the medium segment and cheap segment liquor. It’’s not available in the Kerala State Beverages Corporation. Now in December, we are facing a lot of problem. There is very scarcity in the medium segment also,” said Ramesh.
According to figures, in the last month, the sales of Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL) dropped by 22.23 per cent. The sales might increase in December due to Christmas and New Year.
Residents feel that as the purchasing power of common man has gone down. They think twice before purchasing liquor.
“Liquor sector has the dubious distinction that Kerala stands first in the consumption of alcoholic beverages. The purchasing power or spending capacity of the common man has come down drastically. The daily bread earner is thinking twice on pending so much money on liquor,” said Prakash, a resident.
In September last year, the sale of liquor was 4.8 billion rupees, but this year it went down to 3.81 billion rupees. (ANI)
- Pay more for liquor, Kerala government told - Apr 17, 2012
- Kerala liquor suppliers threaten supply shutdown - Jun 21, 2012
- ABD launches new brandy in Kerala - Feb 02, 2012
- Kerala government says no to new liquor vends - May 27, 2011
- Liquor prices to go up by 6 per cent in Kerala from Aug 1 - Jul 30, 2012
- Kerala in Catch-22 situation over bar timings - Aug 27, 2012
- Liquor sales up; Keralites in party mood for Christmas! - Dec 22, 2009
- Jump in liquor sales ahead of Lucknow civic polls - Jun 23, 2012
- We're in dire straits: Kerala distilleries - Aug 19, 2011
- Kerala gets ready for Onam - Aug 18, 2012
- Liver ailments rise in Kerala - Dec 21, 2011
- Liquor sales in Kerala reach 'dizzy heights' - Apr 16, 2011
- Chandy asks liquor firms not to stop supplies - Aug 24, 2011
- Kerala set for a gala Christmas - Dec 23, 2011
- Rs.70 crore liquor sold on Onam days - Aug 30, 2012
Tags: 20 bars, alcoholic beverages, ashik, beeline, common man, consumption, daily bread, decline, dubious distinction, global economic meltdown, kerala state, liquor sales, new year, peak hours, purchasing power, recession, rupees, scarcity, segment, thiruvananthapuram