Recession hits British pop starsApril 24th, 2009 - 7:39 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 24 (DPA) British pop stars and music producers are feeling the pinch - relatively speaking - from falling property and share prices in the current recession, it was reported Friday.
According to the 2009 Sunday Times Rich List, published in online services Friday, some stars have lost about a quarter of their wealth over the past year.
Among the big names affected by the credit crunch and ensuing recession are Elton John, Robbie Williams, Tom Jones, Cliff Richard and Paul McCartney, according to the report.
The former Beatle saw 60 million pounds ($87 million) wiped off his personal wealth in 2008, leaving him still with a fortune of 440 million pounds.
Elton John’s estimated wealth shrunk by 26 percent to 175 million pounds while Cliff Richard’s fortune was down by a fifth to 40 million pounds.
Tom Jones suffered “losses” of 24 percent - to 130 million pounds - while Robbie Williams is still worth 80 million pounds after losing an estimated 25 million pounds.
Troubled singer Amy Winehouse saw her wealth drop by half to around five million pounds, mostly because she did little recording in 2008.
The “rich-list” is topped by former record label boss Clive Calder, whose fortune is estimated at 1.3 billion pounds, followed by “musical king” Andrew Lloyd Webber with 750 million pounds and Paul McCartney in third position.
Former Rolling Stones Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, as well as Sting and the widow and son of ex-Beatle George Harrison are ranked among the top ten.
- McCartney moves up on rich musicians list - Apr 27, 2012
- Recession-hit Elton John loses a quarter of his wealth - Apr 24, 2009
- Celeb charities 'suffering huge slump in income' - Feb 16, 2011
- Paul Rudd Hosts "Saturday Night Live", Paul McCartney Performs - Dec 12, 2010
- Jessie J wore Falguni-Shane creation at Diamond Jubilee celebration (With Images) - Jun 07, 2012
- Simon Cowell tops 2009 UK rich list - Jan 26, 2010
- Paul McCartney paid £1 for Olympics performance - Jul 31, 2012
- Top 25 karaoke songs revealed - Dec 06, 2009
- Nancy Shevell's wedding dress designed by Stella McCartney - Oct 10, 2011
- McCartney to sing at Willaim's wedding? - Jan 06, 2011
- Keith Richards, Macca create musical collaboration - Oct 27, 2010
- McCartney inks deal to preserve Beatles' works - Sep 23, 2010
- Recession-hit Kylie Minogue makes it to UK's rich list - Apr 27, 2009
- Beatles letter put up for sale - Nov 15, 2011
- Joe Walsh and Paul McCartney get standing ovation at the Grammy Awards - Feb 14, 2012
Tags: amy winehouse, andrew lloyd webber, beatle george harrison, british pop stars, cliff richard, clive calder, credit crunch, feeling the pinch, george harrison, john robbie, keith richards, king andrew, mick jagger, mick jagger and keith richards, music producers, personal wealth, rolling stones mick jagger, sunday times rich list, third position, times rich list