RBI urges Bengal to recapitalise rural banksDecember 7th, 2011 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 7 (IANS) The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Wednesday urged the West Bengal government to provide Rs.83 crore recapitalisation of the state’s three regional rural banks (RRBs), which are in need of capital.
“There are three regional rural banks in West Bengal and all of them are in need of capital. I believe the state government has to release some Rs.83 crore and if they release that, they can get Rs.235 crore from the government of India. I have requested the chief minister for that,” RBI Governor D.Subbarao told reporters after meeting Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee at the state secretariat here.
The three RRBs are the Bangiya Gramin Vikash Bank, Paschim Banga Gramin Bank and Uttar Banga Khetriya Gramin Bank.
On financial inclusion in the state, Subbarao said only about 53 percent of the villages which have over 2,000 population has so far been covered under banking facilities.
There is a national target that by March 2012, all villages over 2,000 population in the country must have access to banking.
“Of the 7,500 villages in West Bengal, about 4,000 are covered. Which is just about 52-53 percent. Banks say that for them to open a regular branch, they need premises, road connectivity… they need wireless connectivity,” the governor said.
“The chief minister has promised to look into that,” he added.
- Rural banks in Bengal facing staff, skill deficit - Jul 03, 2011
- Tripura Gramin Bank posts profit for 10th year in row - Dec 22, 2010
- Micro finance institutions: RBI concerned on monitoring deficiences - Jul 05, 2012
- LIC ties up with regional bank for rural reach - Oct 29, 2011
- Banking access to all villages with 2,000 people: RBI - Feb 08, 2011
- Oil firms ask government to compensate them - Apr 17, 2012
- 72,000 more villages to get banking services by 2012 - Feb 06, 2011
- Financial inclusion to get more focus: RBI governor - May 18, 2011
- NABARD registers 24.2 percent loan growth in Bengal (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- NABARD registers 24.2 percent loan growth in Bengal - Apr 04, 2012
- Tripura bank taking services to villages through mobile branches - Dec 22, 2009
- Cabinet nod for continuing farmers' loan scheme - Sep 06, 2012
- RBI to open more offices in northeast - May 05, 2011
- RBI governor asks for more banks in rural Kashmir - Mar 21, 2012
- Hike in Bengal's credit-deposit ratio linked to investments - Dec 09, 2011
Tags: banerjee, bank of india, chief minister, government of india, inclusion, national target, population, premises, rbi governor, recapitalisation, reserve bank of india, rural banks, secretariat, state government, state secretariat, subbarao, west bengal government, wireless connectivity