RBI to notify steps to revive economy, rupee: Mukherjee (Lead)June 25th, 2012 - 3:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 25 (IANS) Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said Monday the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) would announce measures later in the day to help revive the battered currency and the economy.
“The Reserve Bank of India is going to issue circular, as and when it is ready, during the day it will be announced,” Mukherjee told reporters outside his North Block office.
The finance minister refused to divulge any details of the measures to be announced by the central bank.
“Let’s wait for the notification,” he said.
Mukherjee said Economic Affairs Secretary R. Gopalan was in talks with the RBI officials and coordinated steps would be taken to bolster economic growth and revive the currency, which is under intense pressure.
The Indian rupee and the markets recovered on expectations of the new measures.
After hitting a record low of 57.33 against a dollar last week, the rupee strengthened by more than one percent.
The partially convertible rupee was trading at 56.58 against the dollar in the afternoon session, up nearly one percent from its previous trading session close at 57.12 percent.
Mukherjee, the presidential candidate of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA), met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and announced that he would resign from the cabinet Tuesday.
“I met the Prime Minister. Tomorrow, I will be putting in my papers,” Mukherjee said.
The Congress Working Committee, the highest policy making body of the ruling party, convened a special meeting to bid farewell to the veteran leader.
Mukherjee is likely to file his nomination for the presidential poll June 28.
- RBI to announce measures to revive rupee: Mukherjee - Jun 25, 2012
- India raises overseas investment limit in government, corporate bonds (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- India raises overseas investment limit in government bonds (Roundup) - Jun 25, 2012
- Rupee rises to 7-week high of 54.36 against dollar - Jul 03, 2012
- Rupee ends at 57.12 after slipping to 57.33 against a dollar (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- 'India must cut subsidies, push reforms to defend rupee' - Jun 24, 2012
- Rupee sinks to 56.18 against dollar (Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Rupee gains for second day as RBI intervenes - May 25, 2012
- Rupee dips below 55 against a dollar - May 21, 2012
- Rupee hits a new low of 55.47 against dollar - May 22, 2012
- Rupee slides to new low at 54.30 against dollar - Dec 15, 2011
- RBI must adjust monetary policy: Pranab (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Rupee recovers from record low; Sensex up - May 17, 2012
- Government failed to check slowing economy, says BJP - Jun 25, 2012
- Rupee falls to record low, Mukherjee blames global conditions - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: afternoon session, bank of india, congress working committee, economic affairs, finance minister, gopalan, indian rupee, intense pressure, manmohan, manmohan singh, pranab mukherjee, presidential poll, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, reserve bank of india, ruling party, trading session, UPA, veteran leader