RBI to issue new coinsJuly 22nd, 2011 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 22 (IANS) Three weeks after the 25 paise coins were withdrawn from circulation, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Friday announced it will introduce new coins in five denominations — from 50 paise to Rs.10.
The coins would be in denomination of one, two, five and 10 rupees, besides 50 paise.
While the Rs.10 coins will be made of copper and nickel, Rs.5 will be made of brass with a composition of copper, zinc and nickel.
The lower denomination coins of 50 paise, Re.1 and Rs.2 will be made of ferritic stainless steel containing iron and chromium.
All these coins would be round with diameter ranging 19-27 mm, and will carry the familiar Lion Capitol of the Ashoka Pillar with ‘India’ in English and Hindi on one side and the denomination value on the other side, the RBI statement said.
All existing coins in these denominations will continue to be legal tender.
- 25 paise, or 'chavanni', is dead (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- No more 25 paise coins from June 30 - May 18, 2011
- Seven years jail for melting, destroying coins - Mar 25, 2011
- Canada to drop penny from circulation - Jul 31, 2012
- US President wants cheaper pennies and nickels - Feb 16, 2012
- 'Chavanni' no more after June 30 - Jun 29, 2011
- India decides to cast 'chavanni' to history - Dec 30, 2010
- RBI to probe illegal coins circulated in Mumbai markets - Jan 24, 2012
- Coin shortage makes everyday life difficult in West Bengal - Aug 19, 2012
- New Rs.10 and Rs.50 banknotes soon with rupee symbol - Jul 19, 2012
- Six percent discount on gold coins on Akshaya Tritiya - Apr 23, 2012
- UAE releases silver commemorative coins - Jan 22, 2011
- Pranab Mukherjee releases Rs.150 commemorative coin - Feb 26, 2011
- RBI moves against fake currency deposit - Feb 15, 2012
- RBI to issue special coins on century of civil aviation - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: ashoka pillar, bank of india, chromium, circulation, coins, composition, copper, denomination, denominations, diameter, legal tender, lion, nickel, reserve bank of india, rs 2, rupees, stainless steel, zinc