RBI to convene meet on microfinance institutions issueDecember 9th, 2010 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 9 (IANS) The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will convene a meeting of banks to gauge their stand in relation to microfinance institutions (MFIs) in the interim period between the submission of the Malegam committee report and its study by the bank.
RBI Governor Duvvuri Subbarao told mediapersons here Thursday that the meeting might be held in the next two weeks though the final decision is yet to be taken.
The RBI set up the Malegam Committee last month to study the regulation of MFIs. The issues to be examined by the committee include reported suicides by borrowers in Andhra Pradesh, crass overlending, high interest rates and coercive recovery methods.
“In the interim period in which the Malegam Committee report comes and we study the recommendations, we will convene the meeting of the banks to understand where they stand vis-a-vis the MFI issue,” Subbarao said after an RBI Board meeting.
“Our perception of MFIs is shaped by whatever is happening in Andhra Pradesh but the situation in other states is quite dissimilar. MFI activity is very much going on normally, perhaps there is a small decline,” he said.
“We will discuss with the banks what if anything needs to be done to see that MFI activity continues,” he added.
Subbarao said the Malegam Committee will meet Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Nallari Kiran Kumar Reddy and other ministers next week.
In course of its deliberations, the committee will meet all stakeholders in other parts of the country as well. The RBI chief said though the committee has been given time till January end, “they will try to give the report sooner”.
- Will decide on microfinance institutions after report: RBI - Dec 08, 2010
- Self-help groups to get loans at lower rates: Jairam Ramesh - Jun 21, 2011
- Micro finance institutions: RBI concerned on monitoring deficiences - Jul 05, 2012
- Court declines stay on Andhra micro-finance ordinance - Oct 22, 2010
- Small borrowers rely on moneylenders: Study - Oct 11, 2011
- SKS Microfinance trims loan book by another Rs.354 crore - Feb 27, 2012
- SBI eyeing Rs.3 lakh crore rural deposits by fiscal-end - Feb 06, 2011
- Another suicide due to alleged harassment - Oct 13, 2010
- Regulations for micro finance industry soon - Nov 23, 2010
- Micro finance institutions must be regulated: Kaushik Basu - Nov 26, 2010
- Microfinance firms fear Andhra law will hurt them - Dec 15, 2010
- Subbarao sees scope to cut rates in 2012 - Jul 31, 2012
- RBI draft guidelines for new bank licences in January - Dec 09, 2010
- Andhra proposes non-banking finance body for self-help groups - Jun 21, 2011
- RBI asks states to crack down on fake currency - May 19, 2011
Tags: bank of india, banks, borrowers, chief minister, committee report, decline, deliberations, final decision, high interest rates, interim period, kiran kumar, malegam committee, microfinance institutions, perception, rbi governor, reserve bank of india, stakeholders, subbarao, submission, suicides