RBI measures fail to cheer market, Sensex falls 43 points (Lead)June 25th, 2012 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 25 (IANS) The measures announced by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Monday to revive the rupee failed to cheer the market as the benchmark index slipped into the negative soon after the announcement.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which was in the positive till late afternoon, was ruling at 16,928.60 points - 43.91 points or 0.26 percent down from its previous close at 16,972.51 - around 2.45 p.m.
The RBI announced a series of measures, including raising limits for external commercial borrowings and government securities, aimed at reviving the battered currency and the economy.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,131.15 points and low of 16,928.60 points in the intra-day trade.
The IT index was down by 34.56 points and the banking index by 67.34 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) too was trading 0.33 percent lower at 5,129 points.
Major Sensex losers included Hindalco Inds, down 2.64 percent at Rs.114.15; Hero MoroCorp, down 1.89 percent at Rs.2045; ONGC, down 1.65 percent at Rs.274.80; Cipla, down 1.64 percent at Rs.308.55; and TCS, down 1.41 percent at Rs.1216.25.
Major Sensex gainers were Maruti Suzuki, up 1.60 percent at Rs.1119; Tata Power, up 0.85 percent at Rs.95.20; Gail India, up 0.70 percent at Rs.343.25; RIL, up 0.68 percent at Rs.715.90; HDFC, up 0.54 percent at Rs.643.10.
- RBI measures fail to cheer market, Sensex slips 90 points (Roundup) - Jun 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 148 points down (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down; metal, power stocks slump (Roundup) - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex hits one-month high on strong global cues (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Sensex falls for third straight week on negative cues (Weekly Market Review) - May 12, 2012
- Sensex falls below 17,000 points (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Sensex jumps 304 points ahead of RBI policy review (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Sensex ends 133 points higher on hopes of rate cuts - Apr 12, 2012
- Sensex rises 64 points on rate cut hopes - Jun 12, 2012
- Sensex rebounds on rupee recovery (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Sensex closes flat ahead of inflation data (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Sensex falls 193.40 points, banking stocks slump (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex down almost 75 points - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: bank of india, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, cipla, external commercial borrowings, gainers, government securities, hdfc, inds, late afternoon, maruti suzuki, national stock exchange, nse, ongc, reserve bank of india, ril, sensex, sensitive index, tata power