RBI may revise inflation projectionDecember 8th, 2011 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 8 (IANS) Stating that it had already factored in rupee depreciation and soaring crude oil prices into its projection of 7 percent overall inflation by March next year, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Thursday said it will come out with an update in its mid-quarter policy review Dec 16.
“We have done the numbers…rupee has depreciated about by 14 percent or so since early August and certainly the depreciation of rupee adds to inflationary pressures. We will be coming out with the more definitive statement on this in our statement Dec 16,” RBI Governor D. Subbarao told newspersons here after a board meeting of the central bank.
“But as of now our understanding is some amount of rupee depreciation and a certain assessment of oil price has been built into our projection of 7 percent WPI (Wholesale Price Index) inflation in March 2012,” he added.
On whether the apex bank has intervened in the market to check the rupee fall, Subbarao said: “It is not possible for me to say what RBI has done or not done in the foreign exchange market…that you will know when we release the numbers. I believe we release the numbers with two months lag.”
The rupee fell to a record low of 52.73 per dollar last fortnight.
Most of rupee’s decline came since August this year, when downgrading of the US economy by Standard & Poor’s led to greater uncertainty and turmoil in the global economy.
There has been criticism from several quarters that the apex bank is dithering on reining in the rupee fall by market intervention.
- Inflation too high, says RBI; defends tight money policy (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Will check rupee fall: RBI - Dec 08, 2011
- Petrol price hike to marginally push inflation up: RBI - Sep 16, 2011
- India's growth pegged at 7.3 percent, inflation at 6.5 percent - Apr 17, 2012
- Rs.17,000 crore released into banking system; retail interest rates expected to fall (Roundup) - Sep 17, 2012
- RBI mid-quarter policy review highlights - Mar 15, 2012
- RBI intervenes as rupee slides to new low (Roundup) - Dec 15, 2011
- RBI may not hike rates as growth slows (Roundup) - Dec 15, 2011
- RBI may not hike rates as growth slows - Dec 15, 2011
- India's inflation soars to 7.55 percent in August (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Inflation would have been 13 percent, had RBI not acted: Subbarao - Dec 09, 2011
- Rupee hits record low, government blames global economic turmoil (Roundup) - Nov 22, 2011
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged, cuts SLR by 1 percent (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Highlights of Indian central bank's monetary policy update - Jul 26, 2011
- Inflation will come down soon : RBI governor - May 19, 2011
Tags: apex, apex bank, bank of india, board meeting, crude oil prices, definitive statement, depreciation, early august, foreign exchange market, fortnight, global economy, inflationary pressures, market intervention, mid quarter, oil price, rbi governor, reserve bank of india, rupee, subbarao, wholesale price index