Ravi Shankar asks NGOS to join effort against corruptionDecember 3rd, 2010 - 11:35 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Dec 3 (IANS) Spiritual guru and founder of the Art of Living (AoL) Sri Sri Ravi Shankar said Friday that Indians were torn between “slum India and scam India” and urged NGOs to join the effort to root out corruption in the country.
“”We are torn between slum India and scam India. We need to keep our integrity and walk the talk,” he said addressing representatives of over 1,000 NGOs at a meeting organised by AoL and Confederation of NGOs for Rural India (CNRI) at his complex on the outskirts of Bangalore.
“NGOs are the bridging gap between the governments and the people and they have a pivotal role to play in rooting out corruption from society,” he said.
Karnataka Governor H.R. Bhardwaj told the representatives of the need to empower women and save the girl child. “There is also a dire need to bring education to the rural and the remote areas and this is where the NGO’S have to play a major role,” he said.
Bhardwaj inaugurated the conference titled Fostering Human Values Through Service to Humanity’.
The conference was a platform to all the NGOs across the country to come together, network, share knowledge and develop partnerships with peer groups, regional workers, donor agencies, governmental agencies, scientists, researchers and domain specialists, the AoL said.
The three-day conference will be addressed by leaders in education, health care, environment sustainability, agriculture and self-sustaining economic empowerment.
Around 400 youth leaders of the Art of living who have been actively working at the grass root level in the villages across India are also attending the conference, the AoL said.
- Women from around the world to assess role of technology - Feb 02, 2012
- Argentines throng meditation session with Sri Sri Ravi Shankar - Sep 10, 2012
- A concert with 1,110 veenas! - Mar 29, 2012
- 1,500 kids to be trained in life-skills by AoL - May 30, 2012
- Argentine youth seek peace through Indian guru - Sep 09, 2012
- Thousands of Argentines turn up to hear Indian guru - Sep 06, 2012
- Ready to broker peace with Taliban: Sri Sri Ravi Shanker - Mar 19, 2012
- 1.25 million people to observe 'Yogathon' Saturday - Apr 06, 2012
- Scriptures to help fight HIV-AIDS - Mar 12, 2011
- Unite world's religions through spirituality: Sri Sri Ravi Shankar - Sep 11, 2012
- Just a bill can't wipe out corruption: Sri Sri Ravi Shankar (Interview) - Sep 06, 2011
- A music concert with 1,008 veenas - Mar 26, 2012
- Spiritual leader Ravi Shankar to visit Pakistan - Mar 09, 2012
- Sri Sri Ravishankar said there is threat to his life - May 31, 2010
- Firing not aimed at Sri Sri Ravi Shankar : Karnataka DGP - Jun 05, 2010
Tags: bhardwaj, bridging gap, cnri, donor agencies, economic empowerment, education health care, girl child, governmental agencies, grass root level, health care environment, human values, peer groups, pivotal role, ravi shankar, slum, spiritual guru, sri ravi shankar, sri sri ravi, sri sri ravi shankar, youth leaders