Ranbaxy’s South African arm bags $133 million orderDecember 20th, 2010 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 20 (IANS) Pharma major Ranbaxy Laboratories Monday said that its South Africa-based joint venture, Sonke Pharmaceuticals, has won a 913.5 million rand ($133 million) order in that country for supplying anti-retroviral (ARV) drugs for prevention and treatment of AIDS.Anti-retroviral drugs are meant for treatment of infection by retroviruses, primarily HIV.
The South African government floated a 4.28 billion rand national ARV drugs tender earlier.
“Sonke Pharmaceuticals, a joint venture between Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals and Community Investment Holding, is the second largest local supplier of generic ARV medication in South Africa,” the company said in a regulatory filing.
The medicines will be manufactured in South Africa and at Ranbaxy facilities in India.
“We are humbled to be given this responsibility to produce, supply and distribute affordable ARVs in South Africa. As a socially responsible global pharmaceutical company, we are committed to the cause of alleviating the suffering due to HIV/AIDS and to bring high quality medication to those who need it the most,” said Arun Sawhney, managing director of Ranbaxy Laboratories.
- Ranbaxy sets up new manufacturing facility in S. Africa - Sep 01, 2010
- Aid appeal to combat HIV/AIDS in Myanmar - Dec 06, 2011
- HIV street drug 'Whoonga' is South Africa's latest high - Jan 28, 2011
- Ranbaxy, Russian region sign healthcare pact - Jan 31, 2011
- Ranbaxy boosts presence in Africa with malaria drug - May 11, 2012
- Anti-retroviral drugs may curb AIDS spread in 5yrs - Feb 22, 2010
- Aim to eliminate HIV-AIDS from South-East Asia by 2015: WHO (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2011
- The Untouchables: Children living with HIV, AIDS in Manipur (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Dec 01, 2010
- 34 mn HIV patients in world, infection rate down: UNAIDS - Jun 03, 2011
- Dip in AIDS deaths: UN report (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2011
- New HIV/AIDS study could turn treatment 'on its head' - Mar 04, 2011
- Indian firm sues South Africa after losing AIDS drug contract - Jun 29, 2009
- India to continue generic drugs for HIV patients - Jul 06, 2011
- Poor HIV/AIDS infected to get financial aid in Delhi - Jun 30, 2012
- India invited to make huge investments in Africa: Mozambique - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,