Raja told PM about 2G policy without file workAugust 22nd, 2012 - 11:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 22 (IANS) Former telecom minister A. Raja informed the prime minister about the licence distribution policy without mentioning some of the related issues in the department of telecommunications (DoT) files, a witness told a Delhi court Wednesday.
DoT official A.K. Srivastava told the special court: “The communication dated Dec 26, 2007, was sent by A. Raja to the prime minister at his level. The issues involved were neither examined nor processed in the DoT files.”
Srivastava, who retired as deputy director general (AS) from the DoT, deposed as a prosecution witness before Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge O.P. Saini hearing the 2G spectrum allocation case.
Raja in his letter to the prime minister had given details about the procedures to be adopted for the distribution of the letters of intent (LoIs) to the companies and the first come, first served policy, he said.
“The decision-making power of the union minister is beyond me to question. Therefore, as per the instructions given to me in the meeting, held in the chamber of Raja on Jan 7, 2008, where I was asked to adopt the communication,…I complied with the instructions.”
According to the government auditor, Raja was biased while distributing second generation (2G) mobile airwaves and operating licences to telecom firms, causing a loss of up to Rs.1.76 lakh crore in revenue to the treasury.
Including Raja and Behura, 19 individuals and six companies were accused in two separate cases related to the allotment of 2G spectrum.
- Raja wrote to PM on 2G policy: Witness - Sep 12, 2012
- 2G: Companies knew date of LOIs issuance beforehand, claims witness - Mar 30, 2012
- 2G case: Ex-official says Raja took policy decisions - Jul 31, 2012
- 2G: Raja cross-examines former official (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- 2G: Raja cross-examines former official - Sep 10, 2012
- 2G case: Ex-official denies deposing falsely - Sep 11, 2012
- Former telecom regulator testifies in 2G case - Feb 23, 2012
- Birla wrote letter to PM: Ex-telecom regulator - Mar 16, 2012
- 2G: Raja examines ex-telecom regulator (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Don't treat 3G in continuation of 2G, TRAI said in 2006: Witness - Mar 15, 2012
- Officials told Raja to auction 2G airwaves, court told - Apr 10, 2012
- CBI witnesses' statements made court frame 2G charges - Oct 23, 2011
- Raja changed 2G spectrum policy, not me: Behura - May 25, 2011
- Tata Teleservices applications received late: Mathur - Apr 16, 2012
- Raja hatched 2G conspiracy: Former aide (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
Tags: allotment, cbi, central bureau of investigation, crore, delhi court, deputy director general, distribution policy, dot official, government auditor, jan 7, letters of intent, prosecution witness, rs 1, second generation, six companies, special judge, spectrum allocation, srivastava, telecom firms, union minister