Rains lash Delhi again, commuter woes continueSeptember 16th, 2011 - 12:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 16 (IANS) The national capital was rained out again Tuesday with heavy showers in the morning and traffic jams being reported from several places in the city. The met department forecast more rain in the day.
“There may be heavy rains in some areas of Delhi. There could be brief spells in some parts,” an India Meteorological Department (IMD) told IANS, a day after Thursday’s rains that saw flooding in many areas and commuters being stuck for hours.
“The maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to stay around 31 and 26 degrees respectively,” the official said.
Commuters at major intersections faced a harrowing time due to traffic snarls, a Delhi Traffic Police official said.
“Intersections such as ITO, Laxmi Nagar, Ring Road, South Extension, Azad Market, Kashmere Gate, Nehru Place and Badarpur flyover have traffic jams,” he said.
Many areas of Delhi had plunged into traffic snarls due to heavy rains Thursday evening.
Rainfall recorded Thursday was 36.4 mm while the minimum temperature was recorded a notch above the average at 25.6 degrees.
The maximum temperature recorded was 34.2 degrees, average for the season. The rains added to the humidity, taking the maximum levels to a 98 percent.
- Torrential downpour leaves Delhi in traffic snarls, chaos (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Traffic snarls in Delhi after morning rain (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Delhi, bring back traffic woes (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
- More rains likely in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Delhi, cause traffic snarls - Sep 15, 2011
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi - Aug 29, 2012
- Heavy downpour in Delhi, traffic hit (Second Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Mercury slips after heavy rains, more rains expected (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- More rain in Delhi spells chaos on city roads (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Rains lash Delhi, add to commuter woes - Jul 08, 2011
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Rains in Delhi bring down mercury, cause traffic snarls (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Season's heaviest shower halts Delhi, more rain likely (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Scattered rain, traffic jams in Delhi (Lead) - Sep 09, 2011
Tags: commuters, flyover, heavy rains, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, intersections, laxmi nagar, maximum levels, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, minimum temperatures, nehru place, New Delhi, police official, rainfall, spells, traffic jams, traffic police, traffic snarls, woes