Rains brings hope to Bihar farmersJuly 9th, 2012 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 9 (IANS) Millions of farmers in Bihar can now breathe a sigh of relief as moderate to heavy rains in the last few days have brought a ray of hope from the drought-like situation, an official said Monday.
Farmers have begun transplanting paddy seedlings and paddy sowing. With showers lashing Patna and many parts of Bihar for the past few days, it is positive development, Agriculture Production Commissioner A.K. Sinha said.
The showers will help farmers save their seedlings from drying up, he said.
Till date, nearly 70 percent seedlings for paddy was sown in Bihar. Due to the scanty rainfall, the ratio of transplanting paddy seedlings was very poor, Sinha said.
But the situation is likely to improve in view of active monsoon across the state, he says.
According to the state meteorological director D.C. Gupta, the state will witness moderate to heavy rain in the next two days. “Monsoon is active and it is a good news for all, particularly farmers,” he said.
Monsoon normally hits the state between June 12 and June 14. But this year, it was delayed by over a week. Soon after the rains began, they have been scanty.
The state has witnessed a rainfall deficit of 42.5 percent, an official of the state agriculture department said.
An estimated 70 million people, two thirds of Bihar’s population of 105 million, are dependent on agriculture for their livelihood.
The agriculture department has earmarked 38 lakh hectares for paddy, 2.7 lakh hectares for maize and 1.5 lakh hectares for oilseeds.
Due to insufficient rains, the state had produced just about 46 lakh tonnes of paddy in 2010 and 57.7 lakh tonnes in 2009.
Last year, Bihar had a record paddy crop output of 114 lakh tonnes.
- Fear of drought haunts Bihar again - Jul 03, 2012
- Good rainfall allays fear of drought in Bihar - Aug 10, 2011
- Poor rain hits paddy transplantation in Bihar - Jul 30, 2012
- Bihar set for a normal monsoon - Jun 08, 2011
- Monsoon brings hope for Bihar's drought-hit farmers - Jun 24, 2011
- Scanty rains spark drought fears in Bihar - Jun 29, 2010
- Pre-monsoon showers cool Bihar - Jun 13, 2011
- Over 60 percent of Bihar reeling under drought - Aug 02, 2010
- Drought-hit Bihar braces for rice scarcity - Dec 06, 2010
- Women in Bihar plough fields, sing to please rains gods - Jul 29, 2011
- Bihar stares at drought again - Jul 30, 2010
- Monsoon arrives in parched Bihar - Jun 18, 2011
- Lack of water hits paddy transplantation in Bihar - Jul 14, 2009
- Scanty monsoon hits farming in Orissa - Jul 22, 2010
- Punjab expects bumper paddy crop due to heavy rains - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: agriculture department, agriculture production, d c gupta, drought, farmers, heavy rain, heavy rains, hectares, lakh, livelihood, maize, monsoon, oilseeds, rainfall deficit, ray of hope, seedlings, sigh of relief, sinha, state agriculture, tonnes