Rains bring cheers and woes to MumbaiJuly 8th, 2011 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 8 (IANS) Heavy rains since early Friday brought cheer to Mumbai but also disrupted road and rail traffic and forced a brief suspension of flights, officials said.
The rains, which revived Thursday night after a lull of nearly two weeks, lashed Mumbai, its suburbs and the adjoining districts of Thane and Raigad.
Due to sudden drop in visibility to 300 metres at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, all incoming and outgoing flight operations were suspended for 17 minutes from 10 a.m. Friday. Five flights were disrupted during the period.
Heavy traffic jams plagued the two main thoroughfares - Eastern Express Highway and Western Express Highway - as traffic slowed down owing to water-logging in some low-lying areas.
Similarly, Mumbai’s lifeline - Central Railway, Harbour Line, and Western Railway suburban sections - also reported delays due to heavy rains and trains were running late by 30-40 minutes.
Railway tracks were waterlogged in Mankhurd and Govandi suburbs, which led to further delays in train operations.
Water logging was reported in parts of Kurla, Ghatkopar, Sion, Bhandup and Parel in the eastern suburbs and Kandivli, Malad, Jogeshwari, Andheri, Santacruz and Mahim on the western wide.
Road subways at Dahisar, Malad, Andheri and Santacruz had to be closed as they were flooded, and traffic was diverted on alternate routes.
Similarly, heavy rains lashed the towns of Navi Mumbai, Vasai, Virar, Nalla-Sopara, Dombivli, Kalyan, Ulhasnagar and other places in Thane district.
Mumbai city recorded around 160 mm of rain since Thursday night and Mumbai’s suburbs notched around 60 mm rainfall, with the weather bureau forecast promising a wet weekend with heavy rains.
- Local trains hit as rains lash Mumbai - Aug 29, 2011
- Heavy rains continue in Maharashtra - Sep 04, 2012
- Torrential rains in Maharashtra - Sep 03, 2012
- Mumbai areas waterlogged after third day of heavy rains - Jun 11, 2011
- Six killed in Maharashtra downpour (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Heavy rains disrupt rail, road traffic in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, surrounding areas - Jul 04, 2012
- Rains disrupt Maharashtra-Gujarat train services - Aug 01, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, disrupt traffic (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Heavy rains end dry spell in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2011
- Heavy rains slow down life in Mumbai - Jul 13, 2011
- Monsoon chaos returns to Mumbai, disrupts normal life (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, Maharashtra (Lead) - Aug 28, 2011
- Rains hit Mumbai with full force - flights, trains delayed - Jun 26, 2009
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, disrupt normal life - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: alternate routes, bhandup, central railway, chhatrapati shivaji international airport, eastern express, eastern suburbs, ghatkopar, mahim, nalla, parel, rail traffic, suburban sections, traffic jams, train operations, ulhasnagar, water logging, weather bureau, western express, western railway, wet weekend