Rain worries farmers in western UPApril 12th, 2012 - 3:20 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, April 12 (IANS) The spell of rain earlier this week has got farmers in western Uttar Pradesh worried with many saying that it would damage the standing wheat crop.
Wednesday evening saw stormy wind and heavy rain, setting off alarm bells in the wheat belt of western Uttar Pradesh.
“In many districts, the harvested crop is still lying in the fields waiting to be transported. The unexpected showers could damage the crop,” said Ratan Singh, a farmer from Farah in the region.
Ravi Singh, a farmer from Barauli Ahir block, told IANS: “So far it’s ok, but if this continues there will be trouble in store.”
He said there had been a hailstorm Wednesday night, and it had rained Tuesday evening too, leading to water-logging in fields and low-lying areas of Agra and surrounding areas. “If there are showers in the next few days too, farmers would be badly affected.”
Yashpal, of Etaura village, said some areas had received heavy showers with hail and this could spell doom.
“In Agra region, the problem may not be so serious as it has sandy soil and water is absorbed easily and fast. But in parts of Mathura, Etah and other districts, the soil has high clay and salt. This can prove to be a major problem,” said an agricultural scientist.
- Heavy downpour signals trouble for potato farmers - Feb 16, 2011
- Agra has first monsoon showers, plunges in darkness - Jul 06, 2012
- Rain brings cheer to Agra farmers - Jul 30, 2012
- Taj city lashed by heavy showers - Sep 10, 2012
- Showers, hail hit potato crop in Agra - Feb 26, 2011
- West UP farmers upbeat after monsoon rains - Sep 01, 2012
- Heavy showers lash Taj city - Feb 15, 2011
- Rain ushers in 2012 in Agra - Jan 01, 2012
- Heavy showers lash Taj city - Aug 06, 2012
- Rains hit Agra region, could salvage bajra crop - Jul 19, 2010
- Agra growers in distress as potato goes cheap - Sep 13, 2011
- Heavy rains disrupt rail, road traffic in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2012
- Rain adds to misery of paddy farmers in Punjab - Oct 23, 2010
- Storm damages crops worth $1.5 mn in west China - May 14, 2011
- Heavy rains cause traffic snarls, power breakdowns in Agra - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: agra, agricultural scientist, alarm bells, farah, hail, hailstorm, heavy rain, ratan singh, sandy soil, showers, soil and water, spell of rain, stormy wind, trouble in store, tuesday evening, water logging, wednesday evening, wheat belt, wheat crop, yashpal