Railways to set up museums to commemorate TagoreFebruary 24th, 2010 - 5:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 24 (IANS) On the occasion of the 150th birth anniversary of Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore this year, Indian Railways will set up two museums in West Bengal to commemorate him, Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee announced in parliament Wednesday.
“2010 marks the 150th birth anniversary of Kabiguru Rabindranath Tagore. In commemoration, I propose to set up a Rabindra Museum at Howrah and Gitanjali Museum at Bolpur, the place where Visva-Bharati International University is located, of which our honourable prime minister is the chancellor. I also propose to re-model Bolpur station, inspired by the architecture of Santiniketan,” Banerjee said while presenting the Railway Budget.
She also said that to provide better infrastructural facilities for the promotion of culture, railways will set up the Shambhu Mitra Cultural Complex for performing arts and a music academy at Howrah.
The minister went on to add that the railways will also establish a Railway Cultural and Heritage Promotion Board that will be responsible for coordinating and supervising all related activities on the railways.
“The 14 lakh members of the Rail Parivar come from diverse cultures and social backgrounds. There is a need to bring solidarity among this vast group through intermingling and interchange. I propose to set up a Railway Cultural and Heritage Promotion Board which will be responsible for coordinating and supervising all related activities on the railways,” she said.
- Railways will commemorate Tagore with museums and trains (Lead) - Feb 24, 2010
- Railway Cultural and Heritage Promotion Board to be set up - Feb 24, 2010
- Tagore memorabilia to get new home in Santiniketan - Mar 19, 2011
- Special train to Dhaka for Tagore anniversary celebrations - Jul 15, 2010
- Santiniketan through a historic photographers' lens - Oct 11, 2011
- Australia to help set up Tagore museum in Visva-Bharati - Mar 15, 2011
- Sanskriti Express flagged off from Howrah - May 09, 2010
- PM announces Rs.95 crore grant to restore Visva-Bharati on Tagore anniversary - May 07, 2011
- UNESCO representative visits Visva-Bharati to asses its legacy - Oct 06, 2010
- Tagore was Bengal's Shakespeare: Sonia Gandhi - May 07, 2011
- Australia, Visva-Bharati to collaborate on Tagore Museum - Mar 15, 2011
- Tagore's 150th birth anniversary celebrations begin (Lead) - May 09, 2010
- Railway recruitment exams to be held in regional languages - Feb 24, 2010
- India on World Heritage Committee for 4 years - Nov 11, 2011
- Now, a Tagore hub in Edinburgh University - May 10, 2012
Tags: birth anniversary, commemoration, gitanjali, heritage promotion, howrah, indian railways, infrastructural facilities, interchange, mamata banerjee, music academy, nobel laureate, promotion board, rabindranath tagore, railway budget, railway minister, shambhu, social backgrounds, solidarity, visva bharati, west bengal