Railways to further curb misuse of Tatkal facilityOctober 20th, 2011 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 20 (IANS) In order to check Tatkal tickets being cornered by touts at the booking counters, the Indian railways Thursday restricted the number of tickets per individual to two between 8.00 a.m. and 9.00 a.m.
Among the other steps taken by the ministry to curb the activity of touts at around 10,000 ticket booking counters across the country, the railways has also decided to stop the Quick Book Option and cash card booking between 8.00 a.m. and 9 a.m.
Already there is a ban on booking of tickets by travel agents in this period.
“There has been concern over passengers suffering as touts used to corner the Tatkal tickets as soon as the booking counters opened for the day. These measures will help check the menace,” said a senior railway official.
The steps, officials said, have been taken with a view to reducing chances of misuse of e-ticketing facility being offered by the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation.
The IRCTC also offers cash cards through its agents to facilitate purchase of tickets by the passengers.
Earlier, in February 2011, the railways had introduced the provision of carrying identity proof by any one of the passengers travelling on a Tatkal ticket. It also stopped the facility of name change on such tickets.
Though checks are conducted at railway booking counters by senior officials, sources said the network of touts is widely prevalent at smaller junctions.
- Railways to curb Tatkal misuse - Nov 11, 2011
- Demand supply gap responsible for Tatkal woes: Mukul Roy - Jul 06, 2012
- Railways to launch revamped Tatkal scheme Monday - Nov 20, 2011
- Travel/web agents barred from booking on-line from 8-9 a.m. - Jul 14, 2010
- Railway ticket booking site made more accessible to common man - Jul 14, 2010
- Now call to book train tickets - Oct 19, 2011
- New system soon to book train e-tickets - Sep 14, 2012
- Railways tweak Tatkal rules to check misuse - Jun 30, 2012
- CBI raids Rajasthan railway stations - Jun 22, 2011
- Now, AC passengers on trains to need IDs - Jan 20, 2012
- Tatkal tickets for trains susceptible to manipulation: Auditor - Aug 05, 2011
- Use current reservation counter, urges Railways - Feb 13, 2012
- Railways, ITDC jointly offer tourism services - May 24, 2012
- Kingfisher woes force fliers to shift to rival airlines - Feb 20, 2012
- Himachal to open four restaurants with railways - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: cash cards, checks, indian railway, indian railways, irctc, measures, New Delhi, proof, provision, railway booking, railway official, senior officials, ticket booking, tourism corporation, travel agents