Railways suffer loss in Chhattisgarh as protest continuesJanuary 20th, 2012 - 4:54 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Jan 20 (IANS) The indefinite protest against the railways in mineral-rich but insurgency-ridden Bastar region of Chhattisgarh continued for the eighth day Friday. It has halted iron ore shipment and caused a revenue loss of about Rs.60 crore so far.
“The anti-railway protest in Bastar region has totally halted iron ore supply by the NMDC from its mines based in Dantewada,” a senior company official based at Bacheli town in Dantewada district, some 420 km from here, told IANS.
NMDC, India’s largest iron ore producer and exporter in the public sector, supplies at least 40,000 tonnes iron ore on a daily basis through rail rakes from its mines at Bacheli and Kirandul in Bailadila area.
The Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM), the youth wing of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), has organised the protest since Jan 13 to press their demand for better railway connectivity in Bastar, an under-developed forested region and a stronghold of Maoists since late 1980s.
“Railways have refused to provide rakes to NMDC as hundreds of protesters squat on the tracks on Kothavalasa-Kirandul rail line in Dantewada and Bastar since January 13,” the NMDC official added.
The NMDC mines in Chhattisgarh account for about 75 percent of its total annual iron ore production, which stood at 25.16 million tonnes in 2010-11.
Local railway officials admit that the Railways has suffered at least Rs.60 crore revenue loss so far due to halt in iron ore transportation from Bailadila sector in Dantewada to Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh.
The BJYM leaders Friday claimed that the railway ministry has taken note of the protest and its fallout on railways’ revenue, and asked the protesters to send a delegation to New Delhi for urgent talks.
- Anti-railway Bastar protests halt iron ore shipments - Jan 18, 2012
- Anti-railway protest halts iron ore shipments (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Maoists' shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation - Jul 08, 2011
- NMDC resumes iron shipment from Chhattisgarh - Jan 23, 2012
- Maoist shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation (Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- Maoist shutdown hits iron ore shipment in Chhattisgarh - May 22, 2011
- Maoist shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation - Dec 06, 2010
- Day after blast, terror stalks Chhattisgarh miners - Jun 27, 2011
- Chhattisgarh legislator threatens to stop NMDC mining - Jan 29, 2012
- NMDC to open new iron ore mine in Chhattisgarh - Jul 29, 2011
- Life in Chhattisgarh hit as Maoists protest - Jan 03, 2011
- Maoist shutdown hits iron ore shipment in Chhattisgarh - Mar 23, 2010
- Iron ore supply hit as Maoists damage rail track (Lead) - Apr 20, 2010
- Maoist celebrations hit NMDC's iron ore shipment - Jun 09, 2010
- Maoists block highway, damage rail track in Chhattisgarh - Dec 05, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, bharatiya janata, bjp, chhattisgarh, crore, daily basis, eighth day, fallout, forested region, iron ore producer, maoists, New Delhi, nmdc, ore production, protesters, railway officials, railways, raipur, rakes, stronghold