Railways mull tickets booking through mobile phonesFebruary 26th, 2008 - 5:17 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 26 (IANS) Passengers may soon be able to book tickets through mobile phones, Railway Minister Lalu Prasad said while presenting the Railway Budget 2008-09 in the Lok Sabha Tuesday. “There is phenomenal growth of mobile phones in our country, and at present about 30 crore (300 million) mobile phones are available with the people of India. This number is expected to increase to 50 crore (500 million by 2010),” Lalu Prasad said.
“We are therefore exploring the option of issuing reserved and unreserved rail tickets through mobile phones,” he added.
The minister said passengers would now be able to buy waitlisted e-tickets also through the Internet.
“Presently e-tickets are issued only against confirmed reservation. In line with the demand of passengers, it has now been decided to extend the facility of e-ticket to waitlisted passengers also,” Lalu Prasad said.
The government has decided to increase the number of UTS (unreserved ticketing system) counters to 15,000 from the present 3,000 and automatic ticket vending machines to 6,000 from the current 250, he said.
- New system soon to book train e-tickets - Sep 14, 2012
- Railway passenger reservation system to be expanded - Jul 03, 2009
- Major push to expand ticketing network in rail budget - Jul 03, 2009
- Now, AC passengers on trains to need IDs - Jan 20, 2012
- Demand supply gap responsible for Tatkal woes: Mukul Roy - Jul 06, 2012
- Railways to further curb misuse of Tatkal facility - Oct 20, 2011
- Railway ticket booking site made more accessible to common man - Jul 14, 2010
- Highlights of railway budget for 2009-10 (Third Lead) - Jul 03, 2009
- 16 arrested in Bangalore, northeast exodus subsides (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- 'Jan Sadharan Ticket Booking Sewak' scheme made flexible - Sep 06, 2010
- Travel/web agents barred from booking on-line from 8-9 a.m. - Jul 14, 2010
- Indian Railways to introduce double-decker trains - Feb 24, 2010
- India's rail budget raises fares, focuses on safety (Roundup) - Mar 14, 2012
- Jet Airways introduces mobile ticketing - Jun 24, 2011
- Highlights of Railway budget 2008-09 - Jul 03, 2009
Tags: automatic ticket, e ticket, India, lalu prasad, Lok Sabha, mobile phones, New Delhi, phenomenal growth, railway budget, railway minister, railways, system counters, ticketing system, vending machines