Rail services in northeast restoredJuly 3rd, 2010 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
Silchar/Agartala, July 3 (IANS) Rail services between the northeastern states of Tripura, Manipur, Mizoram and southern Assam and the rest of India were restored partially Saturday after 18 days, an official said.
The services were suspended June 15 following heavy landslides and damage to tracks.
“From Saturday we are running goods train from Guwahati to southern Assam, Tripura, Manipur and Mizoram. After observing the performance, we would run passenger trains from the middle of next week,” Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) spokesman Subrata Hajong told IANS over phone from Guwahati.
“Railway workers have cleared most of the debris in (southern Assam’s) North Cachar Hills district. The huge mudslides covering more than 150 metres of rail track near Harangajao have also been cleared,” he said.
Torrential rains also washed away soil and stone chips under the railway track along a 300-metre stretch in Mailongdisa area in the same district. This was also set right after round-the-clock work, the spokesman added.
The metre gauge railway line from Guwahati passes through southern Assam connecting landlocked Tripura’s capital Agartala and parts of Manipur and Mizoram with the rest of India.
Meanwhile, the Tripura and Mizoram governments have asked the central government and the Food Corp of India (FCI) to build a buffer stock of rice and other essential commodities for the northeastern states.
Rail transport is the main mode of transport in the landlocked region for supplying foodgrains and other important goods.
- Train services yet to be restored in northeast - Jun 10, 2012
- Rail services in northeast still disrupted - Jun 29, 2010
- Railway services in northeast partially restored - Jul 25, 2012
- Landslides disrupt rail services to Northeast - Jun 04, 2012
- Northeast train services partially resume after two weeks - Jun 14, 2012
- 'Another month to restore train services to northeast' - Jul 02, 2012
- Day 3: 2,500 train passengers still stranded in Assam - Jun 28, 2012
- Rail services in northeast restored partially - Oct 07, 2010
- Landslides disrupt rail services in parts of northeast - Jun 22, 2010
- Assam floods toll 18 dead, 2,500 train passengers still stranded (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Passenger train services in northeast still disrupted - Jul 17, 2010
- Parts of northeast cut-off as train services suspended - Oct 10, 2011
- Northeast road-rail links snapped, situation worsens - Jul 16, 2012
- Successive shutdowns disrupt life in northeast - Jan 22, 2011
- Assam's stranded train passengers evacuated - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: agartala, buffer stock, cachar, clock work, food corp, gauge railway, goods train, guwahati, landlocked region, metre gauge, metre stretch, mizoram, north cachar hills, northeast frontier railway, northeastern states, passenger trains, railway line, railway track, railway workers, stone chips