Rail passengers will get Himachal apple juiceAugust 1st, 2009 - 9:17 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 1 (IANS) Train travellers will soon be able to quaff apple juice from Himachal Pradesh with Indian Railways deciding to serve it on important trains, state Horticulture Minister Narender Bragta said Saturday.
“The state government and the railways have reached an understanding under which packaged juices made from Himachal Pradesh apples would be provided to the passengers,” Bragta told reporters.
“Initially, the juice will be provided on selected trains. It would be later provided to passengers of other trains too,” he said.
Himachal Pradesh Horticultural Produce Marketing and Processing Corp (HPMC) is marketing apple juice across the country.
The hill state is one of India’s major apple-producing regions, with more than 200,000 families engaged in the cultivation of the fruit.
The state produced 5.1 lakh tonnes of apple in 2008-09. It was 5.93 lakh tonnes in 2007-08.
The apple economy of the state is around Rs.1,500 crore and is flourishing mainly in Shimla, Kullu, Mandi, Lahaul and Spiti, Kinnaur and Chamba districts.
- Parle to buy apple concentrate from Himachal - Dec 17, 2010
- Himachal to set up another apple juice concentrate plant - Dec 30, 2009
- Himachal's fruit processing plant to be modernised - Jun 24, 2011
- Himachal apple concentrate production hit - Oct 11, 2009
- Himachal wants duty hike on Chinese apple concentrate - Sep 06, 2009
- Himachal seeks funds for apple post-harvesting facilities - May 08, 2012
- Treat hail-caused crop loss as natural disaster, says Himachal - Jul 02, 2011
- Himachal seeks incentives for fruit processing industry - Feb 22, 2010
- Adani procures apples from Himachal growers - Aug 14, 2011
- Himachal Pradesh despatches 74 lakh boxes of apples - Sep 23, 2009
- Himachal seeks central package for fruit crop loss - Aug 04, 2011
- Himachal's apples - 70 percent less yield - Nov 01, 2011
- Poor yield makes Himachal apple business fruitful - Sep 09, 2011
- Brace up for high apple prices as Himachal's crop yield falls - Jun 13, 2011
- Himachal to adopt global apple packaging norms - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: apple juice, apples, chamba, crore, economy, hpmc, India, indian railways, juices, kinnaur, kullu, narender, rail passengers, rs 1, spiti, state government, state horticulture, tonnes, train travellers, trains