Rabbit to the rescue!July 24th, 2008 - 5:43 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, July 24 (ANI): A couple in Melbourne were saved from a devastating house fire by their quick thinking bunny, named Rabbit.
Gerry Finn, Rabbits owner, had just gotten back home after doing a night shift and barely 30 minutes later heard Rabbit furiously scratching at the bedroom door in the early hours of the morning on July 24.
When Finn came out of the room he was shocked to discover that the bunny had alerted him to a blaze rapidly spreading through the back of his Macleod home, in Melbourne’’s north.
The fire had started burning very fast, as smoke had blackened the inside of the house and the flames had destroyed part of the roof.
Finn and his wife Michelle were helped by their neighbours, who pitched in with hoses to save the house before four fire crews arrived to extinguish the blaze.
The stunned couple were relieved to have escaped the fire without injury, though they were just six days from completing a painstaking two-year renovation of the house.
Rabbit, who had miraculously survived 45 minutes of heat and smoke inhalation before alerting his owners, was credited with having saved their lives.
“We were both asleep. It was very lucky for both of us,” News.com.au quoted Mrs Finn as saying.
Rabbit is usually happy to roam around the house, only locked in a cage when guests arrive, she said.
“He’’s just sort of an inside pet but I don”t think he was very impressed,” she said.
“We”ve been renovating for two years - we started with a disaster, and now this.
“All that hard work gone,” she stated.
The six-month-old bunny will visit the vet for a check-up later. (ANI)
Tags: 30 minutes, blaze, disaster, fire crews, flames, gerry finn, heat and smoke, hoses, melbourne, neighbours, night shift, rabbit, rabbits, renovation, six days, smoke inhalation, vet, wife michelle