‘Rab Ne…’ hits bull’s eye, breaks Yash Raj’s jinxDecember 15th, 2008 - 11:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 15 (IANS) Yash Raj Films’ “Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi” that hit the screens Dec 12 has proven to be a breather for the production house breaking its jinx of delivering duds this year. The banner’s earlier releases this year, “Roadside Romeo”, “Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic” and “Tashan” were cold-shouldered by the audience despite major pre-release promotion though Ranbir Kapoor starrer “Bachna Ae Haseeno” managed to do average business at the box office.
However, “Rab Ne…” has given Yash Raj Films a new lease of life.
It was believed in the trade circles that the production house was releasing the film at a wrong time - when global economic slump was on and soon after the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
Directed by dormant filmmaker Aditya Chopra, the film is Shah Rukh Khan’s first release of the year and the first Shah Rukh-Aditya Chopra collaboration in over eight years after post “Mohabbatein” (2000).
The film has broken all earlier opening weekend collection records for Yash Raj Films grossing approximately Rs.600 million worldwide on its opening weekend.
“It’s after a long time that a good movie has came out of the Yash Raj camp and that too with Aditya Chopra and Shah Rukh coming together after eight years,” Joginder Mahajan, a Delhi-based distributor, told IANS.
“Though the collections for the movie have not been cent percent, they have been beyond expectations so far. It is the first big release after ‘Dostana’ and has no competition till the next two weeks until ‘Ghajini’ releases Dec 25. So it has full chances of reaping the benefit,” he added.
Set in Amritsar, “Rab Ne…” is the story of a mismatched couple played by Shah Rukh and debutante Anushka Sharma and how the pair explores love in the backdrop of a dance competition.
According to a statement released by Yash Raj Films Monday, the light-hearted romantic comedy has crossed boundaries and even set records in the Middle East.
The film has also received a grand opening across all overseas markets, including Britain, the US, Australia, Europe, Africa, and other territories in Asia.
- YRF launches new face with Anushka Sharma - Feb 04, 2010
- YRF's 'Band Baaja Baraat' releases Dec 10 - Sep 26, 2010
- Working with new actors a learning experience: SRK - Aug 06, 2012
- Teaser of SRK-Katrina starrer out - sans title! - Aug 16, 2012
- Never a problem with Aditya Chopra: Habib Faisal - May 05, 2012
- (VM) I just got lucky, says SRK on 20 years in B-Town - Jun 25, 2012
- Bipasha wants Atif to sing just for her (Movie Snippets) - Nov 26, 2010
- 'Rab Ne...' will always remain special: Anushka Sharma - Dec 10, 2011
- It was refreshing to work with Katrina: Anushka Sharma - Aug 08, 2012
- I'm lucky to work with Shah Rukh again: Anushka - Apr 06, 2012
- Wrong timing for 'Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi'? - Dec 05, 2008
- Shah Rukh's 'Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi' sees heavy booking - Dec 10, 2008
- Bonding with co-stars works for romantic film: SRK - Sep 26, 2011
- SRK's 'Rab Ne...' wins at Okinawa Festival - Apr 02, 2010
- Uday Chopra calls big brother 'Voldemort' - Dec 28, 2011