Queen raking in the moolah as tourists rain down on Buckingham PalaceAugust 26th, 2008 - 3:28 pm ICT by ANI
London, August 26 (ANI): The number of paying visitors to the Queens Buckingham Palace in London has increased by eight per cent in the first three weeks of the annual summer opening from July 29.
Palace officials have been extending opening hours on some days to entertain a huge number of tourists.
The rise in the number of tourists to the palace comes despite a five per cent fall in foreign tourists to Britain this summer.
Royal aides are yet not certain whether the increase is due to more Britons holidaying at home because of the credit crunch, or whether it reflects the popularity of this summers central attraction: a recreation of a state banquet in the Palace ballroom.
In the first three weeks of the summer opening weve been about eight per cent up on average on the same period last year, which were very pleased about, the Daily Express quoted Frances Dunkels, spokeswoman for the Royal Collection, which uses part of the revenue from the summer opening to help the Queen maintain Windsor Castle, as saying.
We havent had the chance yet to get a proper breakdown of the visitors and where theyre from, she added.
The rise in visitor numbers at the palace is in contrast to many of Britains other major attractions, including fellow royal residence Windsor Castle, where tourist figures are re
- WillKat wedding helped palace earn 42 mn pounds - Jul 27, 2011
- Photographs Of Queen Elizabeth And The British Royal Family To Be Uploaded On Flickr - Jul 26, 2010
- Queen Elizabeth gets bleeding nose - Apr 15, 2011
- Queen's photos found in attic show off-duty life of the Royals - Feb 22, 2011
- Queen's husband Prince Philip hospitalized due to infection - Jun 05, 2012
- Queen Elizabeth II visits Prince Philip in hospital - Jun 07, 2012
- British queen's pay rise ruled out - Dec 06, 2011
- Kate's parents meet Queen, Prince Philip - Apr 21, 2011
- Queen's advisers reject MPs demand to open Buckingham Palace more often - Jun 27, 2009
- Catherine's wedding gown to go on display - Jun 07, 2011
- Abu Dhabi crown prince attends Elizabeth's diamond jubilee - May 19, 2012
- Zoo animals have their own games (Olympic diary) - Aug 10, 2012
- Queen finally meets Kate Middleton's parents - Apr 21, 2011
- Kate Middleton's dress rakes in 10 million in ticket sales - Jul 19, 2012
- Britain expects more tourists from India in 2011 - Mar 25, 2011