Queen, Prince Charles to train William to be KingJuly 28th, 2008 - 3:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 28 (ANI): Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles have drawn up a secret two-year intensive training programme to train Prince William for the monarchy.
That programme will start when he quits military life in the New Year, reports The Mirror.
A senior royal aide confirmed last night: “You could say he”ll be the first person to ever get an apprenticeship in Kingship.”
The prince’’s training tasks will include:
Working at different Whitehall departments and being shown the inner workings of government by privy councillors, including former Prime Minister John Major.
Lessons in the job of king by constitutional experts such as Oxford don Dr Vernon Bogdanor.
Helping manage the Duchy of Cornwall, the landed trust he will inherit from Charles when his dad becomes king.
Running the Sandringham Estate, job his granddad Prince Philip has been doing for years.
Solo tours of the Commonwealth, taking some of that burden from the Queen.
“The Prince Of Wales has had a long time to prepare for what will probably be a relatively short reign. Prince William has effectively got to get to grips with the job very quickly.
“It is a very different world to when the Queen ascended the throne and she wants him to be prepared for what is to come. William too wants to make sure he is ready for any challenge is thrown at him.”
Wills” apprenticeship means any plans to marry girlfriend Kate Middleston will be put on hold until at least 2010.
A Buckingham Palace source said Kate is still part of the 26-year-old prince’’s future, adding: “How can he show Kate what to do if she becomes a princess if he doesn”t know what he is doing himself?”
Wills is expected to enjoy a three-week break with Kate, also 26, when he finishes his stint with the Royal Navy next week. Then he will build on what is already an impressive CV. He has made a whistle-stop tour of all the armed forces, serving with the RAF and as an officer with the Blues And Royals Guards army regiment before the navy.
He also is the first future king to have worked in the City.
As second in line to the throne, William already attends big royal occasions such as Trooping The Colour and Remembrance Day.
Now he will be sent to represent the Queen abroad at funerals and memorial services.
He”ll also be expected to step up his attendances as traditional royal events such as Ascot and royal garden parties. (ANI)
- Kate Middleton wears red Alexander McQueen dress for Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations - Jun 04, 2012
- Prince William has 'no desire to become king' - Nov 28, 2010
- Kate Middleton to ride in Diana's carriage - Mar 22, 2011
- Fairytale wedding for Will-Kat - world hopes happily ever after - Apr 29, 2011
- A treat for Prince William on New Year's - Queen's cider - Jan 01, 2011
- Prince Harry 'to organize riotous stag party for big brother' - Nov 20, 2010
- William wants Kate to be called 'princess' - May 01, 2011
- Elton John may attend William-Kate wedding - Mar 02, 2011
- William, Kate to stay out of public life for two years - Jan 24, 2011
- William weds Kate (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Prince Charles now favoured as next king of England - Jun 11, 2012
- Prince Charles can veto government legislation - Oct 31, 2011
- Kate Middleton's pre-Christmas lunch at Buckingham Palace - Dec 17, 2010
- Queen Elizabeth takes style tips from Kate - Mar 14, 2012
- UK brewery creates beer as the latest Royal Wedding souvenir - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: blues and royals, buckingham palace, constitutional experts, duchy of cornwall, estate job, former prime minister, girlfriend kate, impressive cv, kate middleston, old prince, prime minister john, prince charles, prince of wales, prince philip, prince william, privy councillors, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, royal navy, solo tours