Qualcomm to get BWA spectrum shortly: DoTApril 19th, 2012 - 11:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 19 (IANS) US-based chipmaker Qualcomm would soon be able to roll out high-speed Internet services with the government willing to provide the firm broadband wireless access (BWA) spectrum shortly.
“Very shortly the final decision will be taken. There is nothing that is holding it back it is just a process that has to be taken internally,” Telecom Secretary R. Chandrashekhar told reporters here on the sidelines of a function on the occasion of the formal renaming of department of IT as department of electronics and IT.
Qualcomm had paid $1 billion to acquire licenses in four circles — Mumbai, Delhi, Haryana and Kerala — in the BWA auction held in 2010.
But the DoT had rejected Qualcomm’s license applications for not submitting the applications within the specified period and for seeking more than one licence.
According to DoT, the firm had set up four companies representing each circle instead of one.
However the firm last month received its internet service provider (ISP) licence after a Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) directed DoT to do so and is currently waiting to be allotted the spectrum.
Bharti Airtel which bagged licences to operate BWA services in four circles — Kolkata, Maharashtra, Punjab and Karnataka — has become the first operator to launch its services. It has launched BWA services based on 4G technology in Kolkata earlier this month.
The other players which have also bagged the spectrum are Reliance Infotel (earlier known as Infotel Broadband Services), Tikona, Aircel and Augere. They are yet to announce plans to roll-out 4G services.
- Bharti Airtel to launch 4G services in Kolkata - Apr 03, 2012
- Sibal to launch Bharti Airtel's 4G services Tuesday - Apr 09, 2012
- Huawei to manage Bharti Airtel's 4G network in Karnataka - May 01, 2012
- Qualcomm to get license after clearing Rs.410 crore dues - Feb 24, 2012
- India reaps billions from BWA auction, biggies stay away (Lead) - Jun 11, 2010
- India's broadband airwaves auction to fetch $8.6 billion (Roundup) - Jun 11, 2010
- Broadband auction winners to pay up license fee by June 22 - Jun 12, 2010
- Bharti Airtel buys 49 percent of Qualcomm's India business - May 24, 2012
- All 9 telecom companies qualify for 3G spectrum auction - Mar 30, 2010
- 4G, 3G to grow parallelly in India: Ericsson - Sep 01, 2011
- DoT rejected application for internet license: Qualcomm - Sep 22, 2011
- BWA auction ends, government reaps $8.5 bn - Jun 11, 2010
- Nine telecom companies apply for 3G (lead) - Mar 19, 2010
- Revenue from BWA auction at $5.3 bn, pan-India licence price at $1.7 bn - Jun 01, 2010
- Auction of 3G spectrum kicks off Friday - Apr 08, 2010
Tags: aircel, airtel, appellate tribunal, broadband services, chandrashekhar, final decision, haryana, high speed internet, high speed internet services, infotel, internet service provider, karnataka, kerala, license applications, provider isp, punjab, qualcomm, sidelines, speed internet services, wireless access