Punjab to export potatoes to save farmers from glutFebruary 9th, 2009 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 9 (IANS) Faced with the ire of farmers after a glut of potato crop in the state, the Punjab government Monday announced that 3,000 tonnes of potatoes would be exported to Middle East countries.
The export of the potato crop will be in addition to the 200,000 tonnes of potatoes being sent to other states within the country like Maharashtra, Karnataka, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal and Tamil Nadu.
The potatoes are being sent through the Punjab government marketing agency, Markfed, the state’s Cooperation Minister Kanwaljit Singh said.
“This is being done to provide immediate relief to potato farmers in the state. Markfed officials have been to Dubai to finalise the export of potato and the traders based there have also shown keen interest in importing potatoes,” Singh said here.
Potato farmers in the state are reeling since the prices have crashed this season after a bumper crop and the state government’s inability to create enough cold storage capacity for the produce.
Punjab got a produce of nearly 1.9 million tonnes of potatoes this season whereas the state has a capacity to store only 100,000 tonnes.
Potato growers in some places dumped their produce on highways in the state to show their anger at their crop not being sold.
Singh said the Punjab government has decided to provide Rs.1,500 per tonne as freight subsidy to the growers for export to other countries while for potato to be sent to other states the freight subsidy would be of Rs.400 per tonne.
He said the freight subsidy to Punjab potato growers was higher compared to that offered by Uttar Pradesh, where it was Rs.1,000 per tonne for export and Rs.250 per tonne sent to other states.
- Punjab potato growers to dump crop in Jalandhar - Dec 12, 2011
- Millions of potatoes carpet Jalandhar streets as farmers protest - Dec 15, 2011
- Agra growers in distress as potato goes cheap - Sep 13, 2011
- Bihar's potatoes to be exported to Russia - Aug 31, 2012
- 'Allow wheat exports to Pakistan, CIS countries' - Apr 24, 2012
- Himachal farmers going organic - 25,000 of them - Jan 18, 2012
- Potatoes hot property in Lahaul's cold deserts - Oct 25, 2011
- India's biggest grain warehouse in Punjab soon - Dec 10, 2011
- Potato growers in Bengal stare at bleak future - Apr 04, 2010
- Chinese, American hops dash Himachal hopes - Nov 18, 2010
- Lower seed potato and tomato yield in Himachal due to rains - Oct 13, 2010
- Himachal's seed potatoes selling like hot cakes - Nov 30, 2009
- Adani procures apples from Himachal growers - Aug 14, 2011
- Organic potatoes, with love, for Bihar legislators - Mar 28, 2012
- Dhumal opens cold store, apple packing units - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: bumper crop, cold storage capacity, glut, government marketing, gujarat, kanwaljit singh, karnataka, keen interest, madhya pradesh, maharashtra, marketing agency, middle east countries, potato crop, potato farmers, potato growers, potatoes, punjab government, rs 250, tonne, west bengal