Punjab shutdown over Sikh-Dera row hits rail, road trafficJuly 23rd, 2008 - 4:19 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 23 (IANS) Rail and road traffic in Punjab was severely hit by a daylong state-wide shutdown called Wednesday by Sikh activists demanding the arrest of Dera Sacha Sauda sect chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh. Officials said activists of various Sikh organisations - including Sant Samaj, Damdami Taksal, Buddha Dal and Guru Nanak Dal - blockaded railway tracks in Amritsar district.
The protesters disrupted rail services between Delhi and Punjab. The trains that were delayed included Delhi-Amritsar Intercity Express, Amritsar-Delhi Express, Amritsar-Pathankot Express, Abohar-Haridwar Express, Sachkhand Express, Jan Shatabdi Express and Amritsar-Saharsa Garib Rath Express.
Protesters also disrupted road traffic in Fatehgarh, Phagwara, Bathinda and Moga towns, officials said.
The Sikh activists are demanding the arrest of the Dera chief along with his bodyguard for allegedly killing three Sikhs - one in Mumbai, one in Dabwali (Haryana) and one in Sonam (Punjab).
Damdami Taksal spokesperson Baba Harnam Singh appealed to protesters to remain calm. However, many sword brandishing Sikhs were seen forcibly closing down shops in Bathinda.
In Mohali and Ropar, most shops and educational institutions remained closed. Few people were seen on the roads and only state transport buses were plying.
- Shutdown over Sikh-Dera row hits Punjab, Haryana (Lead) - Jul 23, 2008
- Sikhs-sponsored shutdown disrupts rail, road traffic in Punjab - Jul 23, 2008
- Punjab shutdown against riots hits normal life (Second Lead) - Nov 03, 2009
- Highways blocked in Punjab, life affected in Haryana - May 31, 2012
- Radical Sikhs disrupt train service in Punjab - Nov 03, 2009
- Punjab shutdown against riots hits normal life (Roundup) - Nov 03, 2009
- Dal Khalsa activists stop trains in Amritsar (Lead) - Nov 03, 2009
- Shutdown: Mixed response in Punjab, poor in Haryana - Jul 05, 2010
- Advani's yatra disrupted, shown black flags in Punjab - Nov 13, 2011
- Sikh clergy lays foundation stone of Operation Bluestar memorial - May 20, 2012
- Goods train derails in Punjab - Dec 08, 2010
- Punjab shutdown peaceful, evokes mixed response (Roundup) - Dec 07, 2009
- Strike: Mixed response in Punjab, poor in Haryana (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Dal Khalsa releases Operation Bluestar directory - Jun 05, 2012
- Sikh organisations block rail traffic in Punjab over Tytler issue - Apr 08, 2009
Tags: abohar, bathinda, damdami taksal, delhi express, educational institutions, garib rath express, guru nanak, haridwar, haryana, intercity express, moga, mohali, pathankot, ram rahim singh, road traffic, sant samaj, shatabdi express, sikh organisations, sikhs, state transport buses