Punjab seeks gunny bags for storageJuly 8th, 2012 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 8 (IANS) Fearing a shortage of gunny bags for storing paddy this year, the Punjab government has urged the central food ministry to ensure timely their supply.
Punjab Food and Supplies Minister Adesh Pratap Singh Kairon has urged the ministry for timely supply of gunny bales for kharif season (paddy) 2012-13 to Punjab, a government spokesman said Sunday.
The minister pointed out that many states, including Punjab, had to face problems during Rabi season (wheat) due to delayed and short supply of gunny bags.
“Punjab is yet to receive 9,930 bales against the indent of 161,720 bales for Rabi season 2012-13,” Kairon said.
He said that to ensure hassle free procurement of paddy during the Kharif season, the Punjab government had placed an indent of 7.71 lakh bales of 50 kg new jute bags with the central government agencies in May.
“The state has been requesting the union government to supply new jute bags to Punjab by Sep 30. However, the government of India has intimated that only 5.9 lakh jute bales can be supplied to Punjab leaving a gap of 1.81 lakh bales,” the minister said.
Punjab contributes over 60 percent of the total food grains to the national kitty.
- India's biggest grain warehouse in Punjab soon - Dec 10, 2011
- Punjab to export rice worth Rs.2,500 crore - Oct 05, 2011
- Bihar procures 16 lakh tonnes of paddy - Mar 16, 2012
- Bihar buys six crore gunny bags - Feb 14, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure record 200 lakh tonnes of wheat - May 11, 2012
- Bihar procures record paddy but farmers' cheques bounce - Apr 07, 2012
- Meet to discuss Rabi wheat procurement - Feb 16, 2012
- Where to stock bumper harvest? Punjab, Haryana in quandary - May 17, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 150 lakh tonnes wheat - May 01, 2012
- Punjab seeks PM intervention on procurement - Feb 02, 2011
- Government to plan rabi crop strategy - Sep 13, 2011
- Foodgrain pile up scare in Punjab - Apr 04, 2012
- Assam hopes for record rice, jute production - Jun 22, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 147 lakh tonnes of paddy - Nov 08, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana paddy procurement begins Saturday - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: adesh, central food, central government agencies, food grains, food ministry, gap, government of india, government spokesman, gunny bags, hassle, indent, jute bags, kairon, lakh bales, pratap singh, procurement, punjab government, timely supply, union government, wheat