Punjab planning direct bus service to Delhi airportAugust 13th, 2009 - 5:16 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 13 (IANS) The Punjab Road Transport Corporation (PRTC) is holding talks with Delhi transport authorities to start a direct bus service from various cities in the state to the Indira Gandhi International Airport in the national capital, Transport Minister Master Mohan Lal said here Thursday.
“We have told them to provide proper parking space to PRTC buses and other facilities to buses entering Delhi. If everything goes well, then we will certainly start direct service of AC luxury buses to Delhi airport in the coming months,” the minister told reporters on the sidelines of a ceremony to flag-off 10 new luxury air-conditioned buses of the PRTC.
There is huge NRI population in various cities and towns of Punjab that travels to Delhi airport, and many private bus-operators and taxis companies are plying vehicles on this route to cater to the huge number of passengers.
The minister said the PRTC was also planning to increase the number of both air-conditioned and non-air-conditioned buses to ease the congestion on roads of various cities, and officials had met central Road Transport Minister Kamal Nath and sought his help for the purpose.
In the 1960s, public transport buses constituted 12 percent of total vehicles on Punjab roads but in 2005-06, this figure declined to only one percent, he said.
- Ashok Leyland launches 'Jan Bus' - Jan 05, 2012
- Mumbai gets its first air-conditioned bus stand - Feb 20, 2011
- To Patna with love, from Eden bus service (Postcard from Patna) - Nov 18, 2011
- Volvo India wins order for 100 buses - Dec 06, 2010
- Luring day-trippers - Delhi's HOHO buses change gear (Feature) (With Images) - Jul 15, 2012
- Bangalore adds plush Mercedez buses to city fleet - Aug 28, 2010
- World class transport facilities in Delhi for Games - Jul 19, 2010
- Blueline buses not to return to Delhi roads - Oct 25, 2010
- Volvo India buys out partner's stake in bus JV (Lead) - Dec 07, 2010
- Delhi government slams critical report on bus corridor (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- 200 low floor DTC buses launched - May 02, 2010
- Karnataka against Bangalore airport road toll - Apr 28, 2011
- Delhi to introduce low-fare taxis - Jun 22, 2010
- Commuters suffer as private buses go off the roads (Lead) - Sep 27, 2010
- Cluster bus service launched in Delhi - May 05, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,